• Trend Micro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bit Defender

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Tech-Forums Top Rated Antivirus

anyone used Bit Defender? How good is that? My gf's Windows Vista computer has 2008 version of it n im still in need of fixing it. I just need some opinions about it.

another question, how is there a free version of AVG??

What is rootkit? (Sorry I'm still pretty much a PC noob)

a rootkit is something you will not be able to find (hidden) or see in your startup/ runing processes but it is runing in the background changeing windows files and other peaces of malware usily come with it.

No, and they are not as common as pickantivirus would like to think, out of the past 4 years, I have only had one infection on a customer and that was traced back to the whole Sony Music thing with the software they had installing root kit like software on the pc....
I was servicing around 2000 computers a year, so 1 out of roughly 6000-8000 computers having a root kit, and a cheesy one at that...... And there ARE ways of people finding it and running other types of free software to find rootkits. BTW AVG has always had a FREE version, it just doesn't have all the features of the full edition, such as rootkit, and it doesn't cost anything... Also doesn't include a firewall or any of that junk...

No, and they are not as common as pickantivirus would like to think, out of the past 4 years, I have only had one infection on a customer and that was traced back to the whole Sony Music thing with the software they had installing root kit like software on the pc....
I was servicing around 2000 computers a year, so 1 out of roughly 6000-8000 computers having a root kit, and a cheesy one at that...... And there ARE ways of people finding it and running other types of free software to find rootkits. BTW AVG has always had a FREE version, it just doesn't have all the features of the full edition, such as rootkit, and it doesn't cost anything... Also doesn't include a firewall or any of that junk...

Thanks for your input!

What free software could I use to detect rootkits if I still wan to keep my Free AVG?

Panda Antirootkit is what I've used before. It's not an active scanner, but you can run it now and then to make sure you don't have any hiding.

another question, how is there a free version of AVG??

Because they make their basic protection free. They have paid versions as well which have more features, and also accept donations and such. Combination of those keeps them going, as I'm sure a lot of people who end up using the free version may upgrade to the paid version either: to support Grisoft, or upgrade their protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom