T1 installation at home

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrd4g63

Beta member
Looking for some advice. I am looking to install a T1 at my home. What type of hardware devices would you all recommend? 3 PCs, 2 laptops, 1 server 2k3.

humm.....
don't yell at me if this isn't good...

router
hub connected to router for 3 pc's
2 laptops directly to router
server directly to router

????

or just a hub if you don't want to seperate eveything??

How much does a T1 run for? A T1 is actually one type of broadband that is available in my area, but I think the cost of it would probably be as much as a house payment.

beedubaya said:
How much does a T1 run for? A T1 is actually one type of broadband that is available in my area, but I think the cost of it would probably be as much as a house payment.
It's still pretty expensive in my area. Typical prices are around $450-500/month for a full T1 (1.54 Mbps up and down). Still, it was in the thousands not that long ago, so, it's all relative.

Not all areas have 10mb cable and for those that do, its not guaranteed bandwidth. Plus, you don't have the guaranteed upload like you do on a T1. I wonder how come a T1 is available in my area and DSL or cable is not.

There's a good comparison of T1 to DSL at this link and others. T1 is regulated by the FCC, and like telephone service, your local phone company must make a reasonable effort to offer it to anyone who requests it. They are allowed to charge some fees (and they can get large, but you have the right to challenge them if you choose to go ahead), but they will run fibre and/or (many pairs of) copper as necessary to get you a T1 line. T1 uses a different technology and the lines are prepared specifically for use as digital lines. As such, they aren't affected by the distance from your telephone switching office. You can get DSL if you happen to have copper from the phone company to your house, and you're less than 18,000 ft from the DSL provider's equipment (usually in a telephone switching center). They are not required to (and will not) run copper if it's not in place already in order to create a DSL circuit .

DSL is not guaranteed though, plus the upload is generally slower. For a company or web server that cannot function and would lose tons of money without that dedicated connection, a T1 would be a better, more practical solution than DSL.

DJ-CHRIS said:
DSL is currently reliable enough, and is faster than a t1 most of the time.
If you can get DSL and you're close enough, there are definitely DSL download speeds faster than T1 and sometimes faster upload speeds available (as T1 is 1.5 Mbps in both directions). If you're connecting from home and playing games and browsing the web, DSL is usually reliable enough. For many a small to medium business that use DSL mainly to get their email (hosted elsewhere perhaps) and send/receive documents, browse the web, DSL is still a good answer.

However, if you are running a business over the web where any downtime means a loss of money, T1 is a prudent choice. A T1 provider must strive for 100% up time. The are required to respond to an outage within 1 hour. One of the reasons T1 costs so much more as they do monitor the lines and have people available 24x7 if a problem arises. If a T1 provider fails to live up to those targets, you can report them and they may be fined if they fail to clean up their act.

It's all a matter of what you need the connection for and what is available where you want the connection to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom