SW: KOTOR Performance Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

trs2988

Baseband Member
I'm having some problems with Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. The performance for it is very bad, worse than it ever was on my old Dell that has a P4 1.7 processor and an old nVidia video card. I can't find anything that could be causing the problems. I've done everything the LucasArts website says, and a support email to them was unanswered. Here's what I've tried:

- Exiting all other programs (I always do that for all games - EndItAll is nice)
- Turning all settings to the lowest
- Updating my video card and AGP drivers
- Defragmenting
- Playing around with virtual memory (increasing, decreasing, letting Windows handle it)
- Updating KOTOR (current version is 1.03)

Still, the game is bad quality. Sometimes in open spaces I'm getting what seems to be about 2 frames per second. Also, sometimes it just freezes, and a few seconds later I'll see my character way up ahead, and then the camera zooms in to him to catch up. I know it's not insufficient hardware: I can play Unreal Tournament 2004 with FPS around 60-100, not even with the lowest settings.

Then again, sometimes it's wonderful. The textures are brilliant, there's no rough edges, and the frame rate is as smooth as it could be.

What is the problem here? I don't know what else to try, and like I said, LucasArts isn't helping. What can I do?

trs2988 said:
Still, the game is bad quality. Sometimes in open spaces I'm getting what seems to be about 2 frames per second. Also, sometimes it just freezes, and a few seconds later I'll see my character way up ahead, and then the camera zooms in to him to catch up. I know it's not insufficient hardware: I can play Unreal Tournament 2004 with FPS around 60-100, not even with the lowest settings.

Then again, sometimes it's wonderful. The textures are brilliant, there's no rough edges, and the frame rate is as smooth as it could be.

The only thing that I can say is keep your patches up today.
I have notices the same problem too where some for the Graphics are really nice and then they can turn SO-SO. This is when I am playing on PZYCHOB!TCH.

Try reducing your Game Screen Res.

The problem with you basing things on UT2k4 is that UT2k4 runs faster and smoother (for me anyways) when you crank up the screen settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom