Setting up my home lab for ccna

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesx4911

In Runtime
Hey everyone, its been a while since I posted on here. Just been super busy, I ended up finally getting my first job in the IT industry and I hate it now lol. I work at a companay called Cloud Blue, its a green company they recycle electronics, my job is to repair laptops all **** day, and frankly Im sick of it. I feel like there is no growth for me in this company, and Im not using all my skills. I can do much more than just fix laptops all day, so Im really going to be pushing my self to get my ccna. I purchased

2 routers
and
2 switches

they are both 2600, and 2900 series. I cant remember which one is which at the moment but I will correct them later. My question is I need to connect to the routers and switches to configure them, I do not want to use a r45 to a db9. I made a rollover cable and tried it, pluged one end into the desktop and one end into the router and not a **** thing happened. It showed that a cable was not even connected. I thought it might just be my cable making skills so I had my manager at work make me one. I took it home and same thing nothing happened. I looked online and saw I had to install telnet I did that but still no difference. Am I missing something here? I have installed telnet client on my windows 7 computer, and have tried two rollover cables but still nothing. Suggestions?

First, since win7 cut Hyperterminal support, download and install TeraTerm
Tera Term Open Source Project

bps should be 9600, the rest should be ok at standard I think. The only other thing you've gotta do when making the connection is choose the right COM port. Probably COM1 if you've only got one serial port on your PC

Oh, and you should do all that before you turn the switch/router on. Easier to tell if it's working or not straight away.

First, since win7 cut Hyperterminal support, download and install TeraTerm
Tera Term Open Source Project

bps should be 9600, the rest should be ok at standard I think. The only other thing you've gotta do when making the connection is choose the right COM port. Probably COM1 if you've only got one serial port on your PC

Oh, and you should do all that before you turn the switch/router on. Easier to tell if it's working or not straight away.

Ok i installed the software and set up the settings. Now what do i do?

Make sure the switch or router is connected to your pc via the rollover cable, then turn the device on. If you configured the settings in TeraTerm properly, you should see the startup sequence on your PC.

Hmmm Im think Im failing lol. Let me ask you this, when the cable is plugged and the device is powered on should it say at the bottom right hand corner that Ethernet is disconnected?

aaah, you're using an RJ45 to RJ45 rollover. That's not even connecting to the COM port. You'll need an RJ45 to DB9 cable (or adapter, which cisco usually supplies). Luckily for you, it's easy to build your own cable.
RJ45 TO DB9-F ADAPTER CISCO,ADAPTERS,NETWORK,TELCO
The serial (DB9) side of the cable plugs into your PC, the other end plugs into the console port on the switch or router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom