.rar de-compresion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
not with torrents it doesnt, in that case its a useless redundant step, torrent files are hashed and broken into chunks by default

nonsense, when you make a torrent file you can choose whatever file chunk size you want, and the rar file sizes I see all the time are like 14mb with torrent chunks of only 1-5mb..........its a useless redundant step, its just stupid to split a file twice for no reason

horndude said:
nonsense, when you make a torrent file you can choose whatever file chunk size you want, and the rar file sizes I see all the time are like 14mb with torrent chunks of only 1-5mb..........its a useless redundant step, its just stupid to split a file twice for no reason

That's right, torrent's are split by default. But some files can be compressed pretty well, so WinRAR can still be useful for torrents. Also useful if you want to put multiple files into one single file.
But the split .RAR files are really pointless and annoying.

Ok? So the torrents are broken up as well.....so what? Isn't the overall filesize still smaller.....isn't that the point, to download 195mb instead of 200mb.

HOWEVER, every time I've ever downloaded something .rar'd up, the total file size of the .rar is barely below the total filesize of the thing unrared. That's when it annoys me that it's been rar'd and takes time to decompress it, but the total size saved isn't even worth the time it took to unrar it.

Nubius said:
Ok? So the torrents are broken up as well.....so what? Isn't the overall filesize still smaller.....isn't that the point, to download 195mb instead of 200mb.

HOWEVER, every time I've ever downloaded something .rar'd up, the total file size of the .rar is barely below the total filesize of the thing unrared. That's when it annoys me that it's been rar'd and takes time to decompress it, but the total size saved isn't even worth the time it took to unrar it.

He's not referring to a regular RAR-ed file, bit files split up in chunks by WinRAR.

it's a world of difference for those few who still use outdated dial up services.
Yeah, but chances are you aren't download things in excess of a few hundred megs at a time in the first place, as it'd take a good part of the year to finish for you.

He's not referring to a regular RAR-ed file, bit files split up in chunks by WinRAR.
I know what he's talking about. When it does crap like hackedgame.r01 through hackedgame.r80 and clicking on the first puts it all together. That's still compressing and saving room and file size.

So I don't understand what the compression, albeit generally small, has to do with the torrents also breaking it up.

The things I've come across lately have been

blah.rar, you extract that, then you get blah.r01 - .r80, then once you uncompress those you either get an iso or a .bin and .cue file

counter-strike hacks are usually in those types of folders so they can be extracted easy.
And we all know you're an expert at counter-strike hax ;)

Games are generally rar'd as well. Basically all 'warez' is generally rar'd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom