Power supply makes noise

err people, how has nobody addressed the elephant in the room here?

COIL WHINE BABY

This - didn't respond in time, but yeah. Coil whine or capacitor whine.

Some GPU's are known to do this as well. If you're concerned about it, see if the PSU is still under warranty and get it replaced, or swap it with a higher quality unit; that model is an OK version, but the capacitors are not of the highest quality according to some reviews.

Are you sure its the power supply? You should use a dB meter. You can download one on the app store.

I am 100% sure its from the power supply. Here is a recording:

In here you can hear the sound while I am scrolling:
Vocaroo | Voice message

In here I was watching a youtube video - You can hear the sound while the video is playing, and when you don't hear it - means the video is paused
Vocaroo | Voice message

This - didn't respond in time, but yeah. Coil whine or capacitor whine.

Some GPU's are known to do this as well. If you're concerned about it, see if the PSU is still under warranty and get it replaced, or swap it with a higher quality unit; that model is an OK version, but the capacitors are not of the highest quality according to some reviews.

If the PSU is the problem, to what should I replace according to my system?

Yep, I hear it.

As for replacement...you don't really need to replace unless it's bothering you that much. If you want to replace it, I suggest a SeaSonic. A 500-550w unit should be just fine and also last for an upgrade or 2, depending on your power consumption.

I have an 8 year old 520w Corsair unit running my system.

Yep, I hear it.

As for replacement...you don't really need to replace unless it's bothering you that much. If you want to replace it, I suggest a SeaSonic. A 500-550w unit should be just fine and also last for an upgrade or 2, depending on your power consumption.

I have an 8 year old 520w Corsair unit running my system.

Yes, I have to replace it. That noise is insufferable.
That one will do the job? SeaSonic 500W 80+ Bronze SS-500ET

Back
Top Bottom