Potentially the longest thread in history...

Today's been an excellent day so far :D got a pay raise, friday and the first two days of next week off, and getting THIS for lunch.

Gonna take the time off to finish off a bunch of house projects I've been meaning to do for months. Paving part of the back yard, setting up a temporary gazebo while waiting for funds to build the deck and permanent gazebo/patio, and putting up some privacy shields on the fences so I can't see into my neighbor's yards so easily :p awkward for everyone involved when you're out the back taking a leak and you lock eyes with your neighbor on their porch :grin:

OH MY ****ING GOD. I inadvertently figured out an issue with Win10 that's been driving me insane for months.

So the new $5k workstation I built for the graphics dept as a test has had this weird issue where the mapped drives would drop off and an error pop up saying "K:\ refers to a location that is unavailable" etc, BUT no network drop was ever recorded, no issue in event viewer, the switch never saw a disconnect, and even a USB nic didn't solve the issue.

The mapped drives are on a ****ty 2003 server, so I figured SMB1 must be the issue.

Anyway, I happened to try to copy a file from the K:\ drive to the root C:\ drive and got a "provide administator premissions continue" dialog, pressed continue AND TRIGGERED THE ERROR!

Googling found that that Win10 has something called "Admin Approval Mode" aka "AAM" ; when an admin logs on they get two access tokens, one standard and one elevated. Explorer uses the standard token by design, unless you set automatic elevation in secpol. So if you launch an Admin console, or in fact any service with the admin tokens at all, they don't see the drives that were mapped using the standard user token.

What a ****ing journey that one was...and I would never have found it if I hadn't randomly tried copying to a protected local folder...

OH MY ****ING GOD. I inadvertently figured out an issue with Win10 that's been driving me insane for months.

So the new $5k workstation I built for the graphics dept as a test has had this weird issue where the mapped drives would drop off and an error pop up saying "K:\ refers to a location that is unavailable" etc, BUT no network drop was ever recorded, no issue in event viewer, the switch never saw a disconnect, and even a USB nic didn't solve the issue.

The mapped drives are on a ****ty 2003 server, so I figured SMB1 must be the issue.

Anyway, I happened to try to copy a file from the K:\ drive to the root C:\ drive and got a "provide administator premissions continue" dialog, pressed continue AND TRIGGERED THE ERROR!

Googling found that that Win10 has something called "Admin Approval Mode" aka "AAM" ; when an admin logs on they get two access tokens, one standard and one elevated. Explorer uses the standard token by design, unless you set automatic elevation in secpol. So if you launch an Admin console, or in fact any service with the admin tokens at all, they don't see the drives that were mapped using the standard user token.

What a ****ing journey that one was...and I would never have found it if I hadn't randomly tried copying to a protected local folder...
Oh man should have asked as I figured this out myself months ago. I was trying to get my XP/98 box to talk to my NAS/server which was a struggle. Basically what I did was revert 10 to old school transfer protocols and had to instal this Server 2000 Pro update to XP and boom worked like a champ and also alleviated priv issues.

Huh, thought I had complained on here. Apparently not lol

Couldn't figure it out because it was so random (error wouldn't happen for 3 days, then suddenly happen 5 times in one day) and *seemed* to be triggered mostly by adobe rendering ****. Still have no idea how I would've tracked the issue to AAM without that lucky copy I did that triggered the issue every time. Even had wireshark running that captured a slew of SMB errors that I was working through -_- ah well, glad it's over.

Oh, I DO have another issue that maybe the 4k proponents can solve for me :p
I've got a web designer working on the new dual 4k system now, and he's having a hugely difficult time.

1. He needs to design content for 1080p displays as they're the most common. Photoshop has no "simulate 1080p workspace" option. Best I can do is tell him to scroll in every time so the 1080p graphic fits the width of his workspace, but that is slow and finicky and annoying as all ****. If he doesn't, and leaves the 1080p graphic at 100% so it's a small box in the middle of his screen, all text etc looks tiny as hell and not how it'll appear to the customers.
2. With scaling set to 150% so he can actually read system text etc, any screenshots he takes are out of proportion too. Example, chrome shows an image and inspecting it says it's 112x112 pixels. Take a screenshot using Greenshot, and the *actual* pixels captured are 168x168. So now he can't just paste that into PS, he has to resize it by 0.75x every damn time.

I have no idea how other media web devs get around this, but all I can think is to get him a standard 1080p screen to drag things onto when required :s

Last edited:
Actually not hating the past few days at work. Been doing some basic Cisco stuff, pretty fun! enjoying learning it. So far I have hooked up three Catalyst 3750x 48P switches in a stack, configured the master/member shiz, set up 3 vlan's with a different subnet for each switch, enable Dot1x and got inter VLAN routing working, and also routing out over the internet through a Cisco 2921 router. Nothing complicated but it took a few days to wrap my head around a few things. One of those things where once you've done it once and got the process down, you could do it all again from scratch in 30 minutes.

lkjsdfljsljdkfjl LEAVE ME ALONE FFS

sorry it's just I am at work TRYING TO ****ING CONCENTRATE and every 5 mins my ****ing work phone rings because some useless **** has got some stupid ****ing problem that could be fixed with a 5 seconds google search

sorry just really pisses me the hell off, im in deep concentration on some difficult work and I am getting constant distractions from completely unimportant stupid things, ****s me right off.

Last edited:
lkjsdfljsljdkfjl LEAVE ME ALONE FFS

sorry it's just I am at work TRYING TO ****ING CONCENTRATE and every 5 mins my ****ing work phone rings because some useless **** has got some stupid ****ing problem that could be fixed with a 5 seconds google search

sorry just really pisses the hell off, im in deep concentration on some difficult work and I am getting constant distractions from completely unimportant stupid things, ****s me right off.
Sounds like you need a new 1st line rookie to field basic calls.

Sounds like you need a new 1st line rookie to field basic calls.

lol asif my company would pay for that.

Im the only IT guy so they make me do everything from IT inventory work, sorting out a box full of 50 sim cards onto a spreadsheet, to doing ****ing Cisco work. I'm like an IT handyman where they just get me to do everything from the most tedious admin type minimum wage bull**** to complicated development and networking crap. I like the latter half but the stuff way below my paygrade is dog**** and I hate it.

lol asif my company would pay for that.

Im the only IT guy so they make me do everything from IT inventory work, sorting out a box full of 50 sim cards onto a spreadsheet, to doing ****ing Cisco work. I'm like an IT handyman where they just get me to do everything from the most tedious admin type minimum wage bull**** to complicated development and networking crap. I like the latter half but the stuff way below my paygrade is dog**** and I hate it.

Seriously, just start applying elsewhere. You clearly aren't happy where you are, and it sounds like they're just taking advantage of you and you're getting very little in return.

Back
Top Bottom