Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

My monitor doesn't have any issues like that but I got it... 5-6 years ago I think, so it's been surpassed in just about every spec by now.

Yea I have the white bleed on my Samsung with an odd color balance. It's why I prefer my NEC because it doesn't have those problems.

Yeah. I read a review on some of the NECs but they still had a few issues.. though they do tend to be better, but also more espensive.

It's not a deal breaker this issue. It's pretty obvious, but it only truly disrupts properly black scenes, of which there are not many. If it's just a fairly dark film scene, it just looks slightly washed out. For the hassle it would be to swap it out (and no doubt get another one that has another panel issue in some other aspect) it's really not worth it.

Last edited:

Yeah. I read a review on some of the NECs but they still had a few issues.. though they do tend to be better, but also more espensive.

It's not a deal breaker this issue. It's pretty obvious, but it only truly disrupts properly black scenes, of which there are not many. If it's just a fairly dark film scene, it just looks slightly washed out. For the hassle it would be to swap it out (and no doubt get another one that has another panel issue in some other aspect) it's really not worth it.
Luckily for me it was a trade deal. Although because of my experience with this one I will most likely buy NEC as my upgrade path. The only thing I don't like is how big and bulky this thing is. I wind up taking my Samsung to LANs and it messes with my eyes bad. Just because the white on my Samsung is more of a reddish white.

They pretty much all use LG Displays anyway. Even the good NEC monitors use same LG displays as the good Dell displays, the LG display like mine, Asus.. etc - alot of them are identical panels. The difference is the brightness control (PWM or no PWM) and the electronics, image chips, that kind of thing. Also binning and quality control. The £1500 Eizo display may use the same panel as the £500 Asus display. Difference is Eizo will only buy grade A+ panels, and they will go under stricter QC. A display with my issue would never be let out the factory door at Eizo. They also attach and handle the panels more carefully, to avoid the backlight bleed and glow issues like mine, they often arn't even the lcd panel thats the issue, it's the fact it's been over tightened into position, or undertightened, or the backlight is misaligned in that area.. so many different contributing factors.

It's hardly surprising that your chances of getting a perfect IPS display under £1000 is very low. My iMac had yellow tint in one area, this one has white glow in left corner, my dads dell has a pinker tint towards the left, the LG TV in our lounge has uneven back lighting..

It's pretty much a crapshoot unless you want to pay a helluva lot of money. From what I read one of the most consistent non-pro displays is the Apple Thunderbolt Display. Nearly all of them are good, and dead pixels is pretty rare. But then you pay £900 and the same panel can be had in a Digimax 27" monitor which are £370 (though it has inferior input lag, amongst other things)

Last edited:

Yea in its hayday my monitor was about 700 bucks. It certainly feels like 700 dollars worth of monitor.

Just finished my review. Woot. This kit with a good IMC can reach 2333 with timings of 10. Wow. My 3960x was a turd =/
Mind you, this was on an Intel board running all 8 sticks and the CPU at 4.6GHz. My CPU would scream and cry like I was torturing it at 5Ghz under air.

Yesterday I went to the doctor and found out I don't have cancer.

Today I am drinking a 24 oz. Monster and running around because things break down here if I miss a day :tongue: The joys of being the only IT guy.

Congrats.And I know what you mean about being the only IT guy... but mine is at home. The HTPC's mobo is dying a slow, very painful death. I currently have my wife's rig (quad core, GS8800) filling in until the other mobo gets here.

Today my girlfriend do a pregnancy test and its positive .. i'm freakin dead omg :)

Oops?

Managed to OC my display to 75Hz :)

Might change it back though, not sure if it will damage the components/panel at all.

Today I managed to get everything done that I had planned for this week.... (Most all this stuff was done over the last ~3 days)

-Went to the family graveyard and mowed it, cleaned it up, and put a fresh coat of paint on the flag poles and put new flags up in time for the rest of the lazy family to go there and wonder who the hell maintains that place... Live the furthest, and I am the only one that takes care of it... That's a 5 hour flipping drive there!
-Cleaned both the Impala and Lincoln inside/out, and installed new coil packs on both cars.
-Tilled the garden area.
-Mowed the grass here and done some weed-eating.
-Got the ceiling fans for my mothers bedroom and the kitchen, just need to install the new boxes they will mount to... Stupid builders didn't put in actual ceiling fan support boxes, just your typical single bulb box on the side of a 2x4.
-Repaired my router (hopefully it lasts a few months)
-Made a budget for the next 6 months so I can finally finish up my server build.

Now I am off to watch a show or two, then go to bed, work comes... soon.

Back
Top Bottom