Potentially the longest thread in history...

I thought the US Galaxy S3 models are only dual since the quad-core used in the international version doesn't support LTE?

Hmmm... got a little tidbit today from my trainer. seems he and a Samsung rep were talking and he asked about why the US Galaxy III was only a dual core instead of a quad like the UK/Euro Galaxy II. The rep didn't have a straight answer for him, but he was able to get the rep to acknowledge that they will be rolling out a Galaxy 4 with a quad.

The US versions are dual core because Qualcomm's Snapdragon S4 SoCs are the only option for 28nm LTE (At&t, Verizon, Sprint) or DC HSPA+ (Tmobile) radios at the moment. The rest of the world is still using standard HSPA+ which is supported by the Exynos 4412 in the international model GS3. Samsung could have used Exynos 4412 plus a separate 45nm LTE radio in the US market models but it would have killed the phones battery life and made it much less desirable for most people.

At this point it's way to early to say what SoC the Galaxy S4 will have but I would put my money on it not being a quad core. the next big thing Samsung has in the pipeline is the Exynos 5250 which is a dual core Cortex A15 with a Mali T-6xx gpu. That's not a bad thing though, Cortex A15 is considerably faster clock for clock and will easily beat an A9 quad.

Despite what people claim the US isn't getting ripped off by getting a dual core model, Snapdragon S4 is just as fast on the cpu front as the Exynos quad in the international model and it makes more sense for our networks.

The US versions are dual core because Qualcomm's Snapdragon S4 SoCs are the only option for 28nm LTE (At&t, Verizon, Sprint) or DC HSPA+ (Tmobile) radios at the moment. The rest of the world is still using standard HSPA+ which is supported by the Exynos 4412 in the international model GS3. Samsung could have used Exynos 4412 plus a separate 45nm LTE radio in the US market models but it would have killed the phones battery life and made it much less desirable for most people.

At this point it's way to early to say what SoC the Galaxy S4 will have but I would put my money on it not being a quad core. the next big thing Samsung has in the pipeline is the Exynos 5250 which is a dual core Cortex A15 with a Mali T-6xx gpu. That's not a bad thing though, Cortex A15 is considerably faster clock for clock and will easily beat an A9 quad.

Despite what people claim the US isn't getting ripped off by getting a dual core model, Snapdragon S4 is just as fast on the cpu front as the Exynos quad in the international model and it makes more sense for our networks.

+1. We are getting new work phones, and it's my decision what phones we get. Everyone wants a new smartphone because they're all using old Blackberry's right now. I said about the GS3 and they started giving me the run around about how it's not worth it because it isn't quad. I tried to explain to them that 1) You don't need a quad core phone yet, especially when the dual core is just as fast and 2) AT&T is supposed to get LTE to our market soon and going with a phone that isn't LTE just to get two more essentially useless cores is stupid. The US isn't being ripped off, and it doesn't make much sense to but the int. version if you live in or near an LTE market. End of story.

Re: Today I have...

Wish I had overtime.

Keep getting sent home at 4pm.

:Fuu:

But just did my mock A+ exam and got 990/1000 :D 1 question wrong :( and I knew the damn answer when I thought about it.

I get about 10 hours of overtime a week. :YouMad: You mad bro?

Meh, don't sweat it. You're still young; your career will take off soon enough. Keep your head up!

People like me who use their phone for different purposes besides texting, Facebook, and Angry Birds would like a quad core. It beats carrying around a damn laptop.

If you are doing anything that demanding LTE will make more of a difference than a slight increase in cpu power.

Back
Top Bottom