Potentially the longest thread in history...

By misinformation I don't mean they're lying (well, sometimes yes but not generally). I mean they take advantage of the ignorance of the audience
Easiest pick of the lot is the "Retina Display". Apparently the new iPad has one, but only from 15 inches or further away. Well jesus, EVERY display in existence is now a "retina display" if you can change the definition of what constitutes such a display on the fly depending on the device you're using. I mean honestly...

I don't really see what's wrong with doing that. I'd be more annoyed if they stated it was a retina display without giving a distance. It's a fair point, tablets are held further away than phones. So I think they can get away with calling it retina. I find the "4x faster than Tegra 3" far more dubious, I really can't imagine that at all.

Gotta remember that keynote was for a load of tech journalists. I don't think you are going to lie to them very well, as they know what they are talking about.

Apple does not always use the best GPUs. Aside from A5 Apple has never had a dominant GPU, heck the Galaxy S had close to double the GPU performance of the iphone 4.

I hate how apple gets something right one time and people suddenly act like things have been that way from the beginning.

The iPhone 4 GPU was still pretty fast. Games on it today still look better than nearly all other phones.

Anyway i'm pretty sure you hate any comment about anything Apple that is remotely positive :p

Calling something "retina" if you can adjust the requirements for it makes it a pointless standard. Yes they can get away with calling it retina, my point is you can get away with calling anything a retina display. Stupid. Before the new iPad I'm pretty sure it was based on PPI, when they released a tablet that didn't clear the PPI bar, they just lowered the bar. That's not a spec, that's not a feature.

I don't really see what's wrong with doing that. I'd be more annoyed if they stated it was a retina display without giving a distance. It's a fair point, tablets are held further away than phones. So I think they can get away with calling it retina. I find the "4x faster than Tegra 3" far more dubious, I really can't imagine that at all.

Gotta remember that keynote was for a load of tech journalists. I don't think you are going to lie to them very well, as they know what they are talking about.

The iPhone 4 GPU was still pretty fast. Games on it today still look better than nearly all other phones.

Anyway i'm pretty sure you hate any comment about anything Apple that is remotely positive :p

It was slow compared to it's competition, saying it is high end is completely wrong. In fact considering the resolution it had to run things at it was extremely underpowered.

If you want to see games that look better check out Tegra Zone. Despite the name those games will run on nearly all dual core Android phones thanks to Chainfire3D.

I guess I can start calling my tv a retina display now so long as I am far enough away lol.

Calling something "retina" if you can adjust the requirements for it makes it a pointless standard. Yes they can get away with calling it retina, my point is you can get away with calling anything a retina display. Stupid. Before the new iPad I'm pretty sure it was based on PPI, when they released a tablet that didn't clear the PPI bar, they just lowered the bar. That's not a spec, that's not a feature.

The 300ppi figure for a retina display was always based on you holding the iPhone 10" away from your face at closest. He[Steve] explained that it's the 'magical number' when you can no longer see the pixels, but again, that number has and always was in reference to the 10" figure.

I do agree it's a bit of a loose standard. But then it's more of a marketing term. No-one in their right mind would expect any company to give an actual standard for it's own products when it is clearly one so hard to achieve.

As a technical specification it is weak, but as a marketing term for a feature or experience it is fine. When an Apple product has got a retina display you know your not going to see those pixels in normal circumstances.

It was slow compared to it's competition, saying it is high end is completely wrong. In fact considering the resolution it had to run things at it was extremely underpowered.

If you want to see games that look better check out Tegra Zone. Despite the name those games will run on nearly all dual core Android phones thanks to Chainfire3D.

I guess I can start calling my tv a retina display now so long as I am far enough away lol.

Okay, just checked benchmarks, iPhone 4 gpu is actually worse than I thought. It does indeed suck.

But my point still stands that games on that look better than most android phones. Lets face it, quality android games are few and far between. I played a load on the Transformer Prime on a daily basis and the difference between the iPhone 4S is not apparent. The iPhone 4 doesn't look a whole lot different either. Fact is developers kind of suck as using GPU effectively because I still know of very little games that look a lot better on my 4S than my sisters 4. And that is on the Apple App Store, which everyone agrees has higher quality applications like it or not. The only clearly discernible difference on apps between my 4S and the old 4 is that games run a lot smoother. But noone seems to give a **** about making games that actually look noticeably better.

And that fact annoys me a lot. I check the app store everyday and there is no damn game which boasts about much better 4S graphics except 2 or 3 that Apple paid to develop for the 4S press conference.

Anyway no phone or tablet has got a patch on this bad boy..this just proves how we don't even need faster hardware, faster hardware is just so it makes life easier for developers who don't want too invest the time or money optimizing.

ftw
cgv6

Wouldn't that be an example of the benefits of faster hardware since the Vita is a decent bit more powerful than the iPad 3 or any other mobile device?

It's not though. It's only quad gpu and cpu with 512mb of ram. Tegra 3 specs are better too my knowledge. Unless the speeds are clocked really high. Which I doubt.

I wish people would shut up about the need for stupid amounts of ram so games look better too. That annoys me no end. I remember earlier this year "I really hope IP4S has 1GB of RAM so games can look better" Just no... consoles have half that amount and look infinitely better graphics wise.

He means you have to call and check up. Call the potential employer and ask what up with your application and all that. Check in.

I guess so. Though they all state they will get back to you by email if you're successful. But I will give it a go.

And Soul, Gunslinger looks good. But it doesn't really look any better than something like RAGE HD, Infinity Blade 2, Dead Space.

Skip to 2 minutes

Skip to 1:30

Back
Top Bottom