Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

Like S0UL has tried to say repeatedly, if you are not willing to put forth the work in school where you have it extremely easy (yes, easy) then you are not going to do well when you get out in the real world.

I've never struggled with school but spending the vast majority of your time either in class or doing homework gets old. Although I have actually found it easier to be motivated at work than school and succeeding at work to be more rewarding. I think part of the reason many people don't like school, myself included, is all of the bs you have to learn that you know you will never need again.

THERE HAS BEEN A MIRACLE !

My internet just died. So I restarted my router a few times until it connected, noticed the sync speed was 4096kbps.. thats like, 1000kbps higher than it has always previously synced at.

So I was like.. "must try downloading something." Usually I get about 320kbps, 350tops, but now:
cfE6

So then I went on youtube and clicked on 720p. HD is usually out of bounds, I have too wait an age for it too buffer. But holy crap it just streamed nice and smooth immediately. I've dreamed about this for years :p Having to watch 360p videos for years has made me depressive.

As soon as that video started playing smoothly, my face must of been a picture.

Shocked.png

Now i'm wondering how long until the internet dies and resyncs at a normal speed :p

I was always able to goof off in high school and still make good grades. I only cracked a book in class, if even then. Homework was done before the class was even over. I was always the first one finished with any test and I always scored in the top three. I was a gifted slacker. Then I graduated.

Like S0UL has tried to say repeatedly, if you are not willing to put forth the work in school where you have it extremely easy (yes, easy) then you are not going to do well when you get out in the real world.

I left school and joined the manual work force. I worked in various manufacturing plants and construction for a lot of years. I made good money during most of it but it was mindless work that a monkey could be trained to do. I finally worked my way into a job that let me use my brain instead of my back and I took that opportunity to go back to school.

College was a rude awakening. My first round of classes slapped me upside the head and showed me that I could not coast like I had in high school. I pulled off good grades in those classes, but I came perilously close to blowing them before I got my butt into gear and started putting in the time and effort. My coursework was online so I had to motivate myself, and I was working with people I never laid eyes on (and, as I found out, could not be depended on for equal participation).

Yes, money is a motivator, but it is only the carrot on a stick. If you can't/won't work without something like that then you are not going to be worth much when that is the only reason you are working later.
And nobody is the same. As I previously said, I could give a rats ass about doing work in school but where real work is concerned being backed by money I work my ass off. Also when most people turn into responsible adults (IE parenthood) they typically buckle down to make the dough to keep a roof over their kids house.

The reason I did what I did in school is because 3/4 of my teachers agreed with me how over half of school work is pointless. I was one of those straight A students in high school that took a turn for the worse in the eyes of my principle. In my defense, the counselor told me I could literally slack off the rest of the year and still pass so I took her word for it. If somebody paid me to do school work I would have continued to pass at the top of my class instead of the middle.

Today we had a pretty interesting scenario at work. There's a company in India we contract stuff out to, part of that means we allow them access to intranet sites. This morning they couldn't get access, but certain services (like iChat, internal server setup here) were still accessible and we could still remotely connect to their machines.
Problem turned out to be the ISP they use decided to put them through a proxy (NFI why), which then screwed our IP access rules by basically natting all their machines.

How do you connect to your router?

Well... I connect by a 1Gbps Ethernet cable to a Gateway, which connects to a router by 1Gbps Ethernet, which connects to our Modem by 100Mbps Ethernet. I've never noticed any speed difference whether I connect straight too my modem or not.

They must of upgraded some crap in the adsl exchange. The only time i've ever seen it connect close to this was about 3700kbps, and it could not stay connected for more than a minute. It would literally die every minute because the SNR ratio was so atrocious at those speeds. But as it stands it's been happy for about 10 hours now.

Today we had a pretty interesting scenario at work. There's a company in India we contract stuff out to, part of that means we allow them access to intranet sites. This morning they couldn't get access, but certain services (like iChat, internal server setup here) were still accessible and we could still remotely connect to their machines.
Problem turned out to be the ISP they use decided to put them through a proxy (NFI why), which then screwed our IP access rules by basically natting all their machines.

As soon as you said "India" it all made sense... ;)

I was always able to goof off in high school and still make good grades. I only cracked a book in class, if even then. Homework was done before the class was even over. I was always the first one finished with any test and I always scored in the top three. I was a gifted slacker. Then I graduated.

I left school and joined the manual work force. I worked in various manufacturing plants and construction for a lot of years. I made good money during most of it but it was mindless work that a monkey could be trained to do. I finally worked my way into a job that let me use my brain instead of my back and I took that opportunity to go back to school.

College was a rude awakening. My first round of classes slapped me upside the head and showed me that I could not coast like I had in high school. I pulled off good grades in those classes, but I came perilously close to blowing them before I got my butt into gear and started putting in the time and effort. My coursework was online so I had to motivate myself, and I was working with people I never laid eyes on (and, as I found out, could not be depended on for equal participation).

Yes, money is a motivator, but it is only the carrot on a stick. If you can't/won't work without something like that then you are not going to be worth much when that is the only reason you are working later.

High school was never easy for me. My parents always wanted me to have a better life than them (although most of the time they didn't seem to care that much), so I always had to take the Honors/AP classes. Slack off in an AP class for even one period, and you are royally ****ed.

My whole life revolves around money. I am always thinking about money, because I have an interest in so much tech that I can't afford it makes it incredibley important for me. So i'm pretty confident I will be like PP in that when it comes to working for money, there will be no problem at all. I can't imagine a bigger incentive than knowing at any time some new tech can come out and within reason I can afford it. That would make the happiest guy ever :)

Back
Top Bottom