PC Randomly Stops Responding/Shuts Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
That fixed it for me yeah. Hope it works for you too :D, glad I could help.

Thanks! It hasn't crashed since I made the change, but it is still doing something that itwas doing before. When I reboot, sometimes it locks up the same way, the fan on high, the HD light on. Though in this case, hitting the reset switch does bring the machine back.

I wonder if it might have to do with the power supply. It's not a big one -- 430W ThermalTake, and I have the following in the box:

Phenom II 955 (not overclocked)
Biostar TA790GXE 128M
4 SATA HDs
1 ATA HD
2 DVDROMS
nVidia 9600GT 512MB
4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM

What do you think? The video card does take the 6-pin power, so I'm sure it draws a decent load. I'm going to plug my Kill-A-Watt meter to it today to see if I can find out anything.

- Sung

That sounds like it would be quite a load for that psu. See what happens with your meter and we'll go from there.

Hi

I recently put my own system together, and I'm having the exact same problem and was wondering if you found a solution.

thanks

In your BIOS try to find a power setting called G.P.U Power Phase (or something along those lines) and disable it. This is what that setting does:
BIOSTAR G.P.U (Green Power Utility) is a new function, it will enhance energy efficiency by disabling extra phases while CPU on light loading. It integrated a friendly GUI to monitor what's your CPU resourcing, response and optimized the power saving on your system. Such as Heavy 3D Gaming, Internet or MSN charting, G.P.U will always arrange the best power efficiency in your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom