No Man's Sky - Are You Even Ready??

I don't get this. My friend who ****s all over Ark as being "boring" (has never tried it) asked our group chat if any of us are getting this. Now get this, he's not really the exploring no action RPG kind of guy. Yet when I said this game looking boring as hell he said and I quote "looks way better than boring *** Ark". Like ****ing what? No MP, no PVP elements, no action, no base building, nothing particularly exciting except naming new things with immature names for people to see. If they see it. To those that play this game, am I wrong?

Sounds like your buddy will get bored very quickly... There's no real "action" in the game as far as I can see. But I've only looked at their promo videos etc, so I could be wrong.

I played EvE for a long time, so I'm trying not to compare it to that. It's very different and I need to stop looking at it like the usual run-of-the-mill multiplayer online exploration/survival game.

I'm gently coaxing my husband into it...
It's his beloved TV that he's had since... 2007 or something... he's very attached to it and is quite heartbroken that it's decided to not work.

But... when we were walking through the shop here, we saw some really nice 4K's on sale... I, of course, played it cool... "Oh, yeah? They look nice, sure..." *wandered off to the game section*

*grin*
I was never a fan of rear projection TVs, even when they were the beasts on the market pre-HD. I think he would be a lot happier with a 4k TV. I saw a 120Hz native Vizio 50" for 498 at Walmart not too long ago (smart TV of course). These prices dropped like a rock in the past 8 months.

Sounds like your buddy will get bored very quickly... There's no real "action" in the game as far as I can see. But I've only looked at their promo videos etc, so I could be wrong.

I played EvE for a long time, so I'm trying not to compare it to that. It's very different and I need to stop looking at it like the usual run-of-the-mill multiplayer online exploration/survival game.
He's an *** when it comes to gaming a lot of the times so usually I just ignore him. I'm just waiting for him to waste his money on the game and get bored within an hour. Then I can drop the big I told you so and really grind his gears haha. When I got my current job and was talking about VR he kept calling it a gay *** gimmick. Way too stupid for him and he never tried it. Guess who got a Vive the instant it came out and is ALWAYS on it? When I got my ROG Swift monitor last year he was "making fun of me" about how I spent way too much money on BS and that he's fine with his Surround setup. That of which, guess who was calling me stupid for having 3 monitors back in 2012 :| Now he's the proud owner of the newer IPS Swift 165Hz and says "I can't live without it and Surround was stupid". He did the same thing with Overwatch when I was raving about how fun it was to play. We played it ALL through Quakecon and the week prior. He also calls me stupid for using a 4k TV for gaming, and I know the INSTANT he switches to a 4k screen he'll say "man I wish I got this earlier, this is awesome". I seriously hate people like that, but he's my best friend so I kinda just ignore it and deal.

I was never a fan of rear projection TVs, even when they were the beasts on the market pre-HD. I think he would be a lot happier with a 4k TV. I saw a 120Hz native Vizio 50" for 498 at Walmart not too long ago (smart TV of course). These prices dropped like a rock in the past 8 months.

He's an *** when it comes to gaming a lot of the times so usually I just ignore him. I'm just waiting for him to waste his money on the game and get bored within an hour. Then I can drop the big I told you so and really grind his gears haha. When I got my current job and was talking about VR he kept calling it a gay *** gimmick. Way too stupid for him and he never tried it. Guess who got a Vive the instant it came out and is ALWAYS on it? When I got my ROG Swift monitor last year he was "making fun of me" about how I spent way too much money on BS and that he's fine with his Surround setup. That of which, guess who was calling me stupid for having 3 monitors back in 2012 :| Now he's the proud owner of the newer IPS Swift 165Hz and says "I can't live without it and Surround was stupid". He did the same thing with Overwatch when I was raving about how fun it was to play. We played it ALL through Quakecon and the week prior. He also calls me stupid for using a 4k TV for gaming, and I know the INSTANT he switches to a 4k screen he'll say "man I wish I got this earlier, this is awesome". I seriously hate people like that, but he's my best friend so I kinda just ignore it and deal.

He does sound like an a**. :)
You can't choose your friends...
OH WAIT! YOU CAN!

:D

We've been best friends for 12 years now. I have my own cynical ways of dealing with his elitism ;)

Didn't mean to offend, I totally get it - I have a few friends like that.
No idea why I stay friends with them, but I just do, even though they can be turds.

Lucky for me, my BEST friend is also my husband. Win-win.

Two things are happening in this thread that has always fascinates me:

1) People publicly talking themselves out of a game they would most likely enjoy by mentioning a lot of excuses for why they can't partake

2) People bashing their friends publicly behind their backs

While I enjoy both of these very much, I'd also enjoy reading a thread from others who are currently playing and sharing their thoughts and experiences of the game.

This thread is so off the rails that the OP had to create a new thread for actual discussion and the third reply is, "Still debating on picking this up or waiting for a sale."

Humblest apologies for going "off the rails".
Quite right.
It's a No Man's Sky thread, not a "we live in a f**ked up world" thread.

PROCEED!

I was looking at it some more - some new videos on youtube etc, after the PC release yesterday - and while it looks pretty amazing graphics-wise, I think it might get boring for me.
Just a personal opinion.
I'll stick to my other games.

Two things are happening in this thread that has always fascinates me:

1) People publicly talking themselves out of a game they would most likely enjoy by mentioning a lot of excuses for why they can't partake

2) People bashing their friends publicly behind their backs

While I enjoy both of these very much, I'd also enjoy reading a thread from others who are currently playing and sharing their thoughts and experiences of the game.

This thread is so off the rails that the OP had to create a new thread for actual discussion and the third reply is, "Still debating on picking this up or waiting for a sale."
1: I watched 2 videos of people playing this game and had to quit due to being completely bored. One of those guys made Bread and Besieged entertaining enough to make me buy them on Steam sales. I watch that one dude because he's entertaining as hell even with the most boring games. This game is so dry he was going into left field to try and make things funny. I don't talk myself out of games, I just know what elements I would like and watch gameplay videos to see if I'd like them too.

2: Said best friend frequents the forums and has seen the post. Not like he already knew. He logged 4 hours of the game, 1.5 was him eating and watching TV. Hasn't touched it since and said he got bored.

Edit: Last night another good friend asked if I was getting the game. I told him no and why. He said he was getting it because he likes exploration games and the thought of space exploration. I just asked him what he thought and he said it wasn't worth 60 bucks to him. He's gonna let me use his account to try it which I'll do tomorrow.

Last edited:
1: I watched 2 videos of people playing this game and had to quit due to being completely bored. One of those guys made Bread and Besieged entertaining enough to make me buy them on Steam sales. I watch that one dude because he's entertaining as hell even with the most boring games. This game is so dry he was going into left field to try and make things funny. I don't talk myself out of games, I just know what elements I would like and watch gameplay videos to see if I'd like them too.

2: Said best friend frequents the forums and has seen the post. Not like he already knew. He logged 4 hours of the game, 1.5 was him eating and watching TV. Hasn't touched it since and said he got bored.

Edit: Last night another good friend asked if I was getting the game. I told him no and why. He said he was getting it because he likes exploration games and the thought of space exploration. I just asked him what he thought and he said it wasn't worth 60 bucks to him. He's gonna let me use his account to try it which I'll do tomorrow.

I think I must have watched the same video about it - I was bored in a few minutes.
My brother likes the exploration and "procedurally generated" idea of it, being a GIS master, but he is still waiting at least a year for it to get all the bugs out, be optimised, and go on sale on Steam.

Back
Top Bottom