New SMP2 negates using VMware

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only real differences between now and before is that I have it set for advanced units and it is running an a3. The a1 was running four instances, while the a3 is only running one.

I paused my GPU and SMP jumped up to 85%. With both running they are both around 41%.

All default setting down to "Acceptable size of work assignment and work result packets (bigger units may have large memory demands) -- 'small' is <5MB, 'normal' is <10MB, and 'big' is >10MB (small/normal/big) [normal]?" which is set for "big".

"Set -advmethods flag always, requesting new advanced scientific cores and/or work units if available (no/yes) [no]?" is set for "yes".

"Additional client parameters []?" is set as "-smp -verbosity 9".

Try using this for the Client parameters instead:

-advmethods -smp -verbosity 9

That is how i have mine setup. I have it set for big as well. I didnt change the option for the Set advmethods since i added the flag manually. It seems to be working for me this way. It has gotten me 2 - a3 units in a row now. My TPF is at 19:44 with a PPD of 1045.5 and a finish time of just over 33 hours from start to finish.

See if that helps any.

I don't know if this has already been mentioned or not, but setting the priority of your GPU clients to anything above "above normal" while running a SMP really helps your GPU ppd.

On my dedicated if I didn't set priority to above normal I would get about 1k less ppd from my 9800gt.

I havent messed with my priority and my PPD is fine.

attachment.php

As you can see i am getting decent PPD on my GPU client. While still getting fantastic PPD on my SMP client. The GPU client is lower than normal, but the WU being done that is about right for PPD on my 8800GTS that i have seen. It is only a 353 pointer. The WU is almost done and it was downloaded at 11:30 PM. Just a mere 3 hours ago. So it really is still kicking.

So i havent had to adjust any of that and it is working fine for me. Get GPU units done quick and SMP clients are now being odne in just over a day.

Attachments

• fahppd.jpg
    fahppd.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 38
Try using this for the Client parameters instead:

-advmethods -smp -verbosity 9
Those are my parameters. I just set mine through the configuration instead of by hand.

I am currently at 15%. Been crunching over a day and a half and still have an ETA of 6:21:05:06. Something is seriously screwed here...

I think something is wrong with having it done by the config instead of by hand. I did it that way as well for 2 days and i never got a a3 unit. I was still getting a1 units. The very next unit after i did it manually, i started getting a3 units.

@Burn -

It is the old 320MB cards.

Mak, you should be getting alot more on 353... Only 96 shaders, you should be rocking up over 4k.

Do you have the gpu client priority set slightly above?

Trotter...

Are your machine id's different?
You do have the newest nvidisa drivers right?
Same as Mak, how are the priorities set?, gpu should be slightly higher? What is your gpu ppd on 353 units?
Talking with people on ff, they do the larger a3s in 23mins, so we got a config issue with yours.

I've always done my config, via the configonly flag, and said yes at the advance question.

I dont have the priority set any higher. It is all set at default.

Yes the machine ID's are different. The SMP is ID #1. The GPU is set to ID #4 just to make sure there is no conflict. I had it set to 2 & 3 previously but it loaded up one time and said the ID was incorrect and needed to be reset. So i set it higher and havent had a issue since.

I have the 195.62 Drivers. They are a bit out of date. I see they have a 196 series out now. Will update soon.

My PPD on a 353 unit varies. That one was under 4K. I get some that are above 4K. It all depends on what i am doing at the time while on my PC. I dont shut down the SMP or GPU while browsing the web. I have Outlook 2010 going at all times and so on. So my PPD ranges from 3,800 to 4,200 on the small units.

I havent worried about priorities cause i am not worried about getting the maximum PPD i can. I am happy that i am getting what i am. It is still above and beyond what i was getting with my P4 and 8600GT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom