Networking and a future job

Status
Not open for further replies.
csamuels said:
when i was young

??? Sorry man, you're still young :)

csamuels said:
tried to get into the hacker scene, ppl told me to read. read as much as you can. if you don't understand it, read it again. research research research.

after that i went to votech for computer studies and went onto get a associates degree in comp networking. I feel now that i have a very good understanding of how machines work. I've setup tons of different implementations and my learning curve for new stuff is fast.

sooooo, research and build. even if its home lab stuff. a vpn server. a webserver. get into web scripting. write vbscripts (good for easy administration).

I couldn't agree more. Testing and researching within your own environment at home is a great start. Ask as many questions to people you know that are already in the field. Listen to and watch as many pieces of educational software as possible (i recommend LearnKey with whatever Mike Meyers teaches....he makes learning extremely fun).

The way that I made my start was actually "rearranging" a Novell 3.07 Server via a Windows OS. I had a good understanding of windows but had no clue what Novell was. The IT admin asked me if I was the reason why 10 departments were calling him on the phone all at once. I shyfully answered yes and he took me to the server and said "Mike, I'm going to give you a crash course on Novell". Since then I was fascinated with networking technology and fell into their IT department a few months later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom