Networking and a future job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yolkz

In Runtime
I just wanted to see what you guys thought of getting a job in networking. First off my mom, grandma, uncle, and dad have all worked at motorolla doing various things. I have a interest in computers and networking so naturally I'm interested in motorolla and working for their tech department. I am going to do a internship for them in the summer and then after that I will be off to ITT Tech for college. Can anyone give me advice on what else I could do to make my self look like a good cantidate for a job there? Obviously finishing college would be the main step but any suggestions on what else I could do besides a internship?

when i was young and tried to get into the hacker scene, ppl told me to read. read as much as you can. if you don't understand it, read it again. research research research.

after that i went to votech for computer studies and went onto get a associates degree in comp networking. I feel now that i have a very good understanding of how machines work. I've setup tons of different implementations and my learning curve for new stuff is fast.

sooooo, research and build. even if its home lab stuff. a vpn server. a webserver. get into web scripting. write vbscripts (good for easy administration).

Alright thanks. I've dabbled with vb in highschool. I have a webserver with my isp that is free to use. Thanks for the ideas though. I figure over summer this is what I'll be doing. Getting into all the networking and related topics that I can.

How hard is that to get certified? I'm assuming get certified after college. Its basically like getting certified for anything else right? Take a test and get certified.

It can get pretty expensive if you go up to MSCE and CCNA CCNE
Tests are like 120 or so depending on where you go.

Who knows... If you go through ITT they may have you get your Certs through there.

I go to ITT Tech here in missouri. So far the instructors have been great and I've learned more than I thought I would.

You can go to ITT and at the same time do intership. ITT is only 3 days, and you can have evening classes also. I'm not sure if you can get certs through ITT as I haven't asked about it, but you probably can. You can take test to get certified before college, during college, or after. It all depends on you really.

To compliment your resume, if not provided by your school, get Certifications. I am certified in A+, network+, serurity+, MCP,MCDST and MCSA with no degree, and i am a Systems Admin. Dont get me wrong, a degree is great to have, but certs are a big compliment to a company. Good luck to you!!!!!

techtim

A few years ago it seemed that experience was all that mattered and certs didnt count for much. Now it seems that they want both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom