Need help on Wired Network...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameGURU

Fully Optimized
I have a Cat5 long enough to get to my router finally. The thing is...I have no idea how to setup internet sharing, I used to...but then wireless took me away from it.

Anways, I have one computer connected to the router and the Cable modem. It has a built in network card. My computer has a built in network card too, and it's the only one being connected.

My router is a D-link Wireless with 4 wired ports.

I have run the silly setup home/office network thing a couple of times and I havent gotten anything out of it.

If you need any more information, I would gladly give it.

Thanks in advance.

Are you trying to connect wirelessly? If so, what exactly does not work? Can you actually connect to your router wirelessly? If not, possible causes:
1.) Encryption. Log on to your router with the PC that works (probably just go to it's IP with a web browser) and make sure encryption is turned off (You want it on, but for diagnostic purposes, turn it off) then try again.
2.)MAC filtering. Again in the statues page, make sure that your wireless adapter's mac adress is permitted (to get that, on the laptop, open up a command window and type "ipconfig /all" and look at the line labled MAC Adress it should be a series of letter/number blocks each with 2 characters in it)

Once you can connect wirelessly, find the DHCP settings for your router, and make sure it is enabled. Then, on your laptp, go to netowkr connections right click for prperties, then find TCP/IP and hit properties for that and make sure everythign is set to "automatic"

That should allow you to get on the internet. If you want windows file sharing to work, all computers must trust each other in whatever firewalls you use. Also, it might help to amke sure that 127.0.0.1 is also trusted. That is an adress of you computer (and anythign that comes from that adress will be from your computer, so it is ok to trust it and it might cut down on erroneous "youre being attacked" messages by firewalls.

No no, I have a big understanding on wireless. I have everything I need setup there.

What I want to do is setup MY computer to the router that has the cable modem so I can use my Cat5.

I need it for linux otherwise I would leave wireless on my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom