My Comp will not boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soloman02

In Runtime
Hi, I recently bought a Soyo KT400 Dragon Ultra barebone kit. I also bought an 80GB 8mb cache WD hard drive, 1 stick of 512 PC2700 DDR ram. Along with that i got a Radeon 9200 8x agp(256mb), and an amd athlon xp 2500+ with fan and heatsink. plus a dvd-rw, a cd-rom, and 3 case fans.
I have put everything into the case and have connected all the cables to their appropiate place. I hit the power button, the system powers up(cpu fan and the case fans are spinning) and after that i get nothing. I hear no beeps, and hitting the delete key does nothing.
I have moved the CMOS jumper to reset the settings, and still nothing happens (cpu fan is running). i would have tried putting in another cpu(to make sure my new cpu wasnt dead), but i do not have another cpu that is supported by the motherboard to put in. I also cannot put the cpu or the ram into another computer, since all my other computers are 1ghz and under and will not support the cpu or the ddr ram.

My last option is to go to the local comp repair shop, but i was hoping i could get away with not going there and fixing it myself

sounds like it can be the processor or the mboard because without display it could still boot but it sounds as if the pc isnt even POSTing so i say processor first

MicroBell said:
Remove the motherboard from the case and place on a hunk of cardboard and test with only the video card, HD, 1 stick of ram connected.

If it boots...your shorting out on a mounting stud. Also double check that the heatsink/CPU is correctly seated and the CPU fan is pluged into the correct fan header (FAN1). What size PSU are you running? Also reseat the video card for no display. Does the HD spin up or access??

I have a 350 watt PSU and what do you mean by reseat the vid card? I checked the cpu/heatsink, and the cpu fan is connected to cpu fan 1.

i think he meant to take the vid card out to see if it will post (you should hear error beeps whichs is good) if you dont hear beeps the system isnt doing the POST

i just bought this motherboard less than 3 weeks ago. it is a piece of crap. you probably have a bad motherboard like i did. stay away from this model.

sy-kt400 dragon lite is a stable board. and has about the same features minus ATA raid @ $70 or less. or better yet get the kt600 mobo from asus for $88.

and soyo has a kt600 board for $96. i don't trust soyo anymore, they seem to be stuck in the past as far as current technolgy goes. i mean they still use jumpers to set FSB, wtf?

No, the kt400 does not use jumpers to set fsb, you can set them in the bios like most other mobos. where did you buy your "dead" board from anyway?

newegg.com, and on the technical specs it said you must set system FSB with jumpers. i think you are refering to CPU frequency? i think i got that info from soyo website. don't wait until your return period has ended, take the mobo/barebones back.

I took the mobo off the case and still no luck. When i started it up with the mobo off the case i got a long beep. I took the ram out and started it up and again no luck. if the board was doa, why do the fans that are connected to the mobo work? or do i have a different idea of what doa really means. No where does it say that this mobo uses jumpers for fsb, i have the booklet and nowhere on newegg does it say that, you just have a dislike for soyo and their products. oh yea, the hard drive does work.

You can have a dead motherboard and the fans still rotate. Just because the fans are getting power, doesn't mean that the leads are not messed up or that another component of the motherboard is fried.

When you took your Mobo out of the case, you say that you got a long beep- did it do that in the case?

No- then you are shorting something out when in the case and a component on the mobo isn't seated correctly. (Seated means all the way in the socket or slot that the component is supposed to be in.)

Yes- move on.

When you took all of the RAM out and started it, nothing happened because you have to have RAM in, but you should have heard an error beep.

What brand of RAM are you using? Does it meet the specs needed: 184-pin PC3200/PC2700/PC2100/PC1600 non-ECC, unbuffered DDR SDRAM memory

How fast is the bus on your proc? If it's faster than 333MHz, that could be the problem.

When you test it again, don't just tell us what it didn't do, tell us what it did do, i.e. is started smoking, it beeped 3 short times then 1 long time, it exploded in my face and burned my eyes out...

well you get the picture. Things like this can't be explained in two sentences in most cases.

Follow MicroBell's instructions, he is one of the most knowledgable members here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom