Microsoft Sets Windows 7 Pricing, Upgrade Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean the amount of users in offices and schools and colleges and stuff. Most use XP.
I dont think windows vista will ever be in those places in huge numbers.
But maybe once people realise that 7 is a good OS then perhaps the number of people using windows 7 in businesses... but cost could be an issue..

Even in Offices, schools and colleges you will see it take over. XP is not support by Microsoft past 2011. These places uses Microsoft for support. So if they cant get support from them, they will basically be forced to update.

Considering that for businesses the use of XP Mode will be of great help to them, there is no reason for them not to update.

School students will buy a laptop to use for college at the time when the free copy of Win7 offers are out there and will get Win7 later for free. They may not use them in labs at school but you will see Win7 on almost every student machine.

Sooner or later the schools will update as well. When the software they are running is almost older than the students (At least up till middle school) and is eclipsed by 2 generations of software it isnt much time. Not to mention that with some of the new features of Win7, Bluetooth being built in and so much more, there isnt much of a reason for them not to aside from the economical aspect.

Vista is around. But not without its problems. Win7 takes what Vista did and made it 10x better. Soon after people realize that this isnt Vista and it is just as good if not better than XP, you will start to see conversion.

I mean the amount of users in offices and schools and colleges and stuff. Most use XP.
I dont think windows vista will ever be in those places in huge numbers.
But maybe once people realise that 7 is a good OS then perhaps the number of people using windows 7 in businesses... but cost could be an issue..

Cost is always an issue when you're upgrading. But that's the point of upgrading, and every business owner knows that.

XP is going to be dead. It had a good long life, but it's going bye bye as an installed OS.

Now, Mak will have to check me on this, but I'm pretty sure they are still doing that weird XP mode in Win7 so you can use programs that only work with XP. And no, not compatibility mode.

EDIT: Also, it's not just Best Buy doing the Win7 thing, newegg is doing it with OEM copies of Vista.

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee - Operating Systems

Yes XP Mode is still there. It is the 2nd paragraph on my previous post.

Hehe, easier to open box. Prices at least didn't rise from Vista. Is it really ok to upgrade to a whole different OS without doing a clean installation?

Normally with the upgrades version, you can install directly from the Upgrade Disc, however at some point in time it will ask you to provide a full version of the previous OS (eg. Vista).
What happens here is that it ask you to insert the DVD/CD into the drive. The windows installation will read the disc. Then it will ask you to put your windows 7 disc in again and continue installing.

So there is no need to install windows Vista, then install windows 7.

I mean the amount of users in offices and schools and colleges and stuff. Most use XP
One of the mean reasons what that windows Xp was around for a longer time than orginally planned. Vista was suppose to be out in 2003. Remember how we had Office 2003 just appear out the blue, but no Operating System?

Typical shelf life for an OS is 3 years. It's just that MS had to devote their energies to shorting out the virus that were attacking Xp, then Server 2003 product.

Windows 3.1 (1991)
Windows 95 (1994)
Windows 98 (1997)
Windows Me (1999)
Windows Xp Home (2001)
Windows Vista Home (2007)

I want to get this on pre-order, but they aren't selling Ultimate on pre-order. The only difference I can see b/w Pro and Ultimate is Bitlocker, which I wouldn't really use. Do you guys know of any other features Ultimate has that Pro does not? Do you think it would be a waste to wait for Ultimate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom