Making a change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like sdb4 is your home directory. It also looks like it's mounted properly.

Do you have GParted installed? I'd be curious to fire that up and see what kind of output you're getting on your home directory drive, in terms of overall size of the partition, free space remaining, etc.

9pnjnd.jpg

Size is 82.95 GB, used is 72.4 GB and unused is 10.55GB.

I still dont understand how that happened. I dont have many documents on there. There is 1.3GB of documents in that folder. There is 2.7GB in the Pictures folder.

Gravy....I think the update from 11.10 to 12.04 is the issue. Jsut clicked on the Music folder and I get the error to check the spelling cause /media/ksod777/music cant be found. Looks like it will be time for a download and reinstall....UGH! After I finally got everything up and running the way I want....

I'm not totally convinced a reinstall is needed. In fact I almost never reinstall, despite how quick it is. (I installed Ubuntu + updates from USB onto an SSD laptop yesterday... 7.5 minutes) I think something just got crossed up between the multiple drives, formatting changes, and upgrades.

What exactly is ksod777? Is that the mount point of your folder? What drive in particular is that? I'm a little confused by that since it has your music on it, which is normally contained in your home folder.

ksod777 is the machine name. That is what the machine name is on my network. I dont have anything in the Music folder at all cause it is all on a separate hard drive. I have about 300GB of music and no way that will fit onto this drive. :lol:

So I have always had that on a spare drive and just had the music players search that drive instead of moving the files to the music folder within the home folder.

So the ksod777 is the same drive as /home; or at least it should be.

That's confusing to me... if /media/ksod777 is your home directory, in theory, /media/ksod777 should not exist. /media is just the location where drives typically get mounted. A drive can only have one mount point. If it's mounted in /home, it won't exist in /media.

For example, my two 1TB drives are in a software raid, but neither are accessible or viewable in /media. On top of that, the array that is the "virtual drive" of both 1TB drives is not in /media either. Instead, it's mounted at /home. You'd think I'm just using... one... massively... huge... drive... because there's no other "obvious" mount points. The fact that my /home directory is on another array looks just as transparent as if it were on the main drive to begin with.

Quick thought process:

A = SSD
B = Regular HDD For Home

bin - A
etc - A
lib - A
mnt - A
boot - A
opt - A
dev - A
media - A
proc - A
sys - A
var - A
home - B

If I had ~20 hard drives in my system, I could literally mount each root folder (some of which I listed above) to a different hard drive, and the user would never know otherwise (at least when clicking through the menus and whatnot) because of how transparent the mount process is. There is no My Computer - E Drive - Music, it's just, /home = "E Drive". Make sense? I look at it as more of a direct junction, so to speak.

That being said, it doesn't fix your problem. I'm going to blab extensively here, so bear with me. Your /etc/fstab is utilizing UUID's for the drive to mount, which I like to look at the UUID of a drive as the social security number of the drive. However, it changes each time it's formatted. It's just a more direct identifier. So, UUID is good. Well, your UUID with /home directly corresponds to /dev/sdb4. So, sdb4 is your home directory. Okay, fine. Then we come to the mount command, which looks good to me. I highlighted this line:

/dev/sdb4 on /home type ext4 (rw,user_xattr)

Which suggests /dev/sdb4 is indeed mounted on /home. If you go to your home directory and at the top you see Home - Joker (or whatever user is on the system), do you see typical folders like Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos, etc.??

Yes I see those folders as you expect. I was mistaken about the error message. It says /home/ksod777/music;

dvk7ko.jpg

While I was uploading that I got another error message, this one Ubuntu Specific.

2j5xlz.jpg

It just says it experienced and internal error. So I am guessing that something is most certainly wrong with my install at this point seeing as how I am now getting Ubuntu errors.

Ignore the 2nd error. It's because you're still on a beta. I see it coming up now and again and just hit continue to upload the error. Often times it comes up without me even noticing an issue anywhere else.

About the first error, that's kind of confusing to me. I wonder if the bookmarked links are somehow backfiring. Instead of relying on those links, can you click (on the left side) File System - Home - Joker - Music and see if it works? I wonder if those links are just pointing to the wrong location.

If you hover over them, I assume they say /media/ksod777/music as the error indicates? Mine comes up as /home/jason/Music... And mine aren't removable... (I was going to see if you remove them then reboot if they'd re-generate...)

Well here is an interesting one....I restart after the 2nd error I shown and now I get something completely unexpected. The Music folder which was causing me grief, is now gone!

dr8sid.jpg

It isnt on the shortcut list to the left, nor is it in the main listing when I manually try to search for it in the File System>Home>ksod777 folder.

Which is another thing I dont get. I named the PC ksod777 for the network but everything else I used the name Joker for. So why is it that it has reverted to the network name instead of the given username?

Will try another reboot and see what happens.

another reboot, Music folder is still gone. Not gonna worry about it now though. Still wonder why I have so much used space. I thought Linux wasnt such a space hog compared to windows. I dont think I have a lot installed. Granted it is almost 2,000 lines but most of it is codec stuff that shouldnt take up a lot of space. According to Unity I only have 142 apps installed. That is actually far less than I have on my Windows installs.

I might end up doing a reinstall so I can just use the 1TB drive I have for /home so I dont have to worry about space. Since I seemed to be able to fill up 80GB with ease...

Linux is significantly, and I repeat, significantly smaller than Windows. My file server is ran entirely from a 4GB flash drive, of which 3GB is in use. My desktop, which has more applications installed than I could ever want/need, clocks in at exactly 5.0GB on the nose. This is for the operating system alone. When you talk personal data, a 5MB song in Windows is still a 5MB song in Linux/Mac/BSD/etc.

Something is whacky with your drives. It seems like your music is a primary target, which could be where your mystery data is being eaten up and it's just not mounted properly. If you click the drives/partitions on the left side, the system should mount them to temp folders (normally by drive name, but if no name is available, it'll name them to a random string of characters) within the /media directory.

I'd click every drive and partition and get everything mounted. Then, do a search globally for some music you know you have on the drive. Make sure you search in "File System" which refers to your root drive. Since /media is within root (hence the slash... think of /media as rootmedia) it should pick it up. From there it should be apparent which drive has what data and so forth.

Well I did what you said. I mounted all drives and searched for an artist I know I have. When I checked the properties that the search results brought up, I got that they were where they said they should be. Located in the /media drive in which all my music is located.

Okay I guess I just had to let the system reboot a couple of times? Cause now when I look at GParted and check the /home drive, it now says:

Size 82.95GB; used 9.35GB; Unused 73.6GB

Okay throughly confused by that fact but I am not going to question it. Everything is working the way it should be and no reinstall required.

Jayce I dont know how to thank you for all the help and assistance you have been providing me with. I have learned more these past few days working in Ubuntu with your guidance than I have in years working on Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom