Making a change

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSoD

Call me Mak or K, Mod Emeritus
So just installed openSUSE. Going to try out a different distro other than my normal Ubuntu and see how things go. So far got somethings setup the way I want and like. Others are still a bit off. but so far, so good. It is a bit different than what I am used to when it comes to *NIX, but I severely need a change from Windows.

Are you using the latest version, 12.1, and Gnome or KDE?

Actually, I just installed it last night. I was just checking it out. As Fedora was giving me some trouble. I love Gnome 3 though. :)

Are you using the latest version, 12.1, and Gnome or KDE?

Actually, I just installed it last night. I was just checking it out. As Fedora was giving me some trouble. I love Gnome 3 though. :)

Latest version with Gnome 3.

Why do you need a change from Windows, Mak?

And I haven't tried openSUSE, what do you think of it?

Been using Windows as far back as I can remember with only a couple of stints away for testing out Ubuntu. I started with it back in the Windows 3.1 days and been with it sense. Need a change, drastically.

I actually like openSUSE. It doesnt seem as difficult to configure or use as some of the other distros. Installed Chrome and by default it installed Flash Player and some other things for me. I didnt have to hunt down for the Linux version or use Terminal to install it.

Ick, I don't stray much from my Debian roots. At a stretch I'm a CentOS (RedHat Derivative) fan. Can't go past the apt package management system.

I have tried but alas the issues I was having was far to great for my feeble little mind to overcome. Right now openSUSE seems very easy to use, easy to figure out and a good starting place for me to get my feet into *NIX where I can learn more about it and from there make the jump to a more indepth distro that requires more knowledge.

Very nice. OpenSuSE has a solid KDE port as well. How are you enjoying Gnome 3? I always thought highly of OpenSuSE. Their YaST tool is pretty intuitive. It seems as if a lot of distros are brewing up similar ways of managing your system. Ubuntu's combination of Software Center + Control Center really makes for a wide range of management, but YaST still gives me a fuzzy warm kind of feeling. It's been quite a while since I used it... Can't help but to think in the back of my head this may call for a weekend project. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom