Macs!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mac platform just works. Thats all there is to it. No mess. No fuss.

Perfection.

+MacMan

lester8908 said:
Exactly what are the advantages to having a mac over a pc besides the looks???

I was reading through this thread and wondering much the same thing. I see a lot of "people just dont know about macs" and "they hate them for no reason" etc. I for one am inclined to hate them because we used to have mass quantities at all of my k-12 schools and they BLEW to make a long story short. I'm pretty much open now though, although I prefer the PC much more because I have no reason not to. Anyone have specific examples of why Macs are "better"? i.e. PC's are better because I can go to Best Buy etc, and not worry about whether or not that program on the shelf will work with my comp.

And that post about spyware, norton, etc; I don't deal with any of that. In fact, my virus protection is "over 27 months old and should be updated as new viruses are coming out all the time" as my comp says upon bootup :). I believe that that has a LOT more to do with broadband connections...(who is going to take the time to hack me through my 56k? not nearly as many, although I admit it is still theoretically just as suseptible to most viri...i suppose i've just been lucky ;)) Secondly, my PC has never "broken down." It's a Gateway 733mhz PIII and the only thing the case has ever been off for is to add more RAM and a better vid card :).

The problem with judging things on quality and cust serv experience is that for most users it's a totally subjective experience. I have had exactly the same situation with all the computer equipment I own, mac or pc, but then I'm pretty well educated about what I am buying so I know what I can expect from it. Just because your experience has been fine doesn't mean that the experience of others has been.

Most school equipment blows, mainly because there is insufficient support and funding, not because of the machines themselves per se. Anyway, it has been shown countless times that TCO of apple products is far lower than that of other PC manufacturers. this is purely driven by having the hardware and software designed in tandem, they only have to deal with so many combinations of technology.

I would also state that software designed for the mac tends to run on a lot more of it's various OS platforms than the equivalent situation on the PC. Though there is a lot less of it around. However most of the main productivity tools are available on both platforms, Office, Photoshop etc. Most of the PC software available duplicates waht is available in other pc software, not the strongest of argurments as you do get more choice, it's just in my experience the software is generally of lower quality.

the biggest strength for apple comes from the fact that it is not microsoft, i'm not saying apple is perfect by any stretch of the imagination, and I'm not saying that all of microsoft's software is bad because it obviously isn't. However, gates has an amazing ability to be very bad at PR, and seems to be totally locking into a business model he has exploited from the first, that as long as we have gained the massive market shareI no loneger need to concern myself with the needs of the user, take IE for example.

At the end of the day you pays your money and your make your choice. For me, apple products annoy me far less than microsoft ones.

nak-1 said:

Most school equipment blows, mainly because there is insufficient support and funding, not because of the machines themselves per se...

Well, thats true...but could be said about anything if you "have enough money." Just FYI, not to argue or be an ass: My district recieves what I would consider to be VERY good funding, and in the last 2-3 years we have converted all (~300+) of the comps in my high school to P4's, with just a FEW new macs. This pleases me :D.

"Platwars..."

Weather some of you may like it or not, Macs and PCs are equal. That's all there is to it. Thought i strongly hate my own PC, it's Microsoft we all should be in great hatefullnes toward!

:angry:We should all be able to agree on that.
:angry: :cool:

Exactly. There is no difference between an actual Mac and an actual PC. Hardware is Hardware. It's the software that tells the hardware what to do, and how to do it. The Mac OS just seems to tell it's hardware what to do in a quick, orderly fashion. The Windows OS seems to try it's hardest to get things done fast, not orderly. I have no experience (yet) with Linux, but from what I hear, it's very orderly, and not necessarily fast. That's my view on it :D

linux is quite fast, must less resource intensive than the OS X version which is based on freebsd 4.4.Ive yet to see a case where a desktop machine needed more than 256mb of RAM, or a graphics crad with more than 32mb of memory.Most of the time 128mb RAM is plenty.

you dont need anywhere near the machine needed by many other OS's to run linux, and when properly setup its very very effective, trouble free, and inexpensive too.

Alot of the real power of OS X is in the command line, yet from what ive seen few folks use it.When the new G5's came out I was really shocked that OS X didnt come with an extensive manual for free with the system.Its an aftermarket item, and its huge.There's so much you can do with OS X, the GUI they use although quite robust and easy to use also limits what you can do and requires a very powerful system to run it.

That's what really bugs me about apple. They are the only company anywhere to have deployed an OS that not only gives the user all the power of *nix but completely and sucessfully hides it if you don't want it.

Linux isn't really there in terms of usability and consistency with it's GUI's. At some point you will have to use the command line. It will get more interesting when they do but I feel apple is missing the boat(yet again?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom