Logitech Z-2300 Vs. Klipsch ProMedia GMX A 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

grego

In Runtime
I've decided to go with a 2.1 setup over a 5.1 setup to take with me to my dorm next year. It saves space, and as an added benefit, saves money. Does anyone own either of these two sets? What do you think are it's strengths/weaknesses? Heard both? I've researched a TON, but it's always good to hear input from one more person. Thanks :)!

Re:

Hello,

I have an analogue 5.1 surround sound setup in my room. Now i'll admitt, my sound setup is pretty tacky, but it does the job!

Sound Card: Onboard :rolleyes: 5.1 Realtek ALC650 Nvidia APU.
Speakers: Labtec Arena 675 5.1 Speakers

The best thing about 5.1 is that you can enjoy the benifits of having your very own, indoor cinema! Although my setup is pretty cheap, you can get much better systems (mine is rather old). A good 5.1 speaker system will allow you to pump up the bass to your music, and blast that treble through multiple speakers. And of course, you can watch clear DVDs and submerse into the rich surround sound. Another plus is gaming. Alot of games have surround sound, so you can really dive into reality.

A 2.1 speaker setup will allow you to pump up the music, but you're missing out when playing DVDs with enriched surround sound, and gaming. Although a 2.1 system would be more compact and less fiddly, I would advise you get a 5.1 system for that magnificant experience!

You've got to think about analogue and digital when you're going with 5.1 . For 2.1 an analogue setup would be enough, however I don't know of many 2.1 systems which have a digital interface.

Now obviously, a 5.1 system would have higher clarity and less interference if it utilises digital. You can get optical digital inferfaces and coaxial digital interfaces (both deliver excellent sound). Of course with a digital setup, you'll need a sound card with digital output, either supporting coaxial or optical (SPDIF) digital connections. However digital setups tend to cost more.

If you are fine with an average sound experience, but with that surround sound kick, then an analogue would be most cost effective. Analogue speakers would just require analogue ports (usually 3 x 3.5mm jack outputs).

The choice is yours!!! :D

Thanks! But I knew all that already!

I've had my own 5.1 setup in my room running off a Sony STR-DE575 for a while. I've got a JBL Center channel (dual 5.25 and a tweet), Yahama Fronts (8" 3-ways), and KLH Rear Sattelites. The sub is a ported 12" Jensen (laugh, i know) that I got from ABC warehouse for like $90. It does the job quite well amazingly. You'd never be able to tell if you listened. And I had an Adire Brahma in my car for about 4 months, so I'm no stranger to the best SQ subs. I started to really get into home audio in about 7th grade. When I got my car, I headed naturally to car audio.

Once again though, I'm back debating between a 5.1 or 2.1 setup. I'm really leaning toward the ProMedia 2.1s however. I think I will either get them or the Logitech z-5500. I think I can go w/o 5.1 for a year or two until I get an apartment and more room.

The Klipsch have a 'sub-out' on the sub that comes with them. I figure the Klipsch should have the edge in the upper register, and if the sub doesnt meet my expectations/wants, then I can always add another one :). I used to have a 12 and a 10 hooked up in my room til I sold the 10.

I guess the real problem now is 5.1 or 2.1. And unforunately, I think the only thing that can make up my mind would be being able to try to set up a 5.1 in my dorm room. Either that or ordering the Klipsch's right now so I don't have to ponder it anymore lol. That's probably what I'll end up doing. I can always get a pair of 5.1 headphones if I start to feel the need for it in gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom