Just got my drivers licence! now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First i struggled getting my permit, finally got it, went smooth from there, 6 months of driving and driving and more driving, went to the dmv passed first try! I was so happy until i got home.

In callifornia, if you are under 18, and hold an Interm Licence, do you have to have insurance immeadately after you pass (eg: you are issued the interm, are now valid and have no insurance, so you cant drive at all, or are you offered a grace period, put on your parents insurance, or you can only drive when the policy holder is in the vehicle?)

im freaking lost. right now me and my pops are under the assumption that i cant drive PERIOD until i get insurance, which i think is total BS cause if i knew that i would have purpously tanked my test so i can still drive. my pops is extremely strict with this, and he said he wont put me on his policy until i get a job and pay him however much the increase was.

help? i cant find any information that i need anywhere on the californias dmv site, the handbook, any of my pamphlets, nothing. and right now all i have is a little peice of paper that says i can drive, but cant use it! :eek:

I think he's right that since you are now legally a fully licensed driver you are required to have your own insurance. The increase shouldn't be much, less than $100 a month for sure unless you're driving a sports car. Shouldn't be too hard to get a PT job, either, to pay for it.

Sounds like you need to start saving. When I first got my licence i think i paid about $320 per year. However i am in a different country than you are.

problem is this community is very spread out. closest place thats hiring is +5mi away

im hoping for best buy, if not then im checking staters, albertsons, vons, osh, or maybe one of the like 5 fast food joints up here, but for one, im under 18, and i got no idea how to get my work permit set up and my counceler at school isnt doing anything to help she just says "go in and they fill it out" i go there they tell me to go to the school and have them fill it out...driving me nuts.

i got a truck, half tank of gas, my licence, but no insurance. cant get a parking permit at school until i get insurance and i need a job to get the insurance, but i need to drive to get to the places to get a job.

Won't your parents ferry you around for a bit? And Best Buy and many other largers stores like that have an online application process, so check that out.

Yeah i know about the online thing, i already did that. first time i was an idiot and tried for geeksquad, this time im just tryin service clerk (or whatever its called)

and no. hes an *******. "IM NOT A TAXI SON"

all i live with. me and him. sister lives over 200mi away, mom is deceased, and thats my family.

That's not very reasonable, is it? Happen to have any friends with a license who can drive you? I suppose you could just walk if you had to, wouldn't THAT bad.

i got a bike, but im a hard rider (ever seen the movie ROAM with the mountian bikes and all that? well i ride like that) so my bike always breaks. and yes i got friends with liscences but everyone is on their interm and cant drive anyone under 18 unless there is someone over 25 in the car.

If you have your license and the car your driving has insurance you should be fine, atleast i think it should. My dad has no insurance because he doesnt have a car in his name but all the cars are insured and he can legally drive them around.

But your in Cali and I wont even get into the BS laws you have over there so you might wanna call up the dmv or something

This question could be answered with one 5-minute phone call. I guarantee the insurance company knows the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom