iPhone 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, what's stopping you from getting a cheap usb web cam and skype? You know Apple has sold iSight in their iMacs for years. There is nothing new or revolutionary about video chat. it's been around since the 90's. just another example of a common and well done technology that Apple steals, puts a stupid name on, takes credit for and everyone bows down. There is nothing revolutionary about the iPhone, never was or has been. same with the iPod. MP3 players existed years before the iPod, as well as touch screen smart phones existing years before the iPhone. before Apple got involved the only people who used em were us geeks, because we are always early adopters. then Apple made it "better" read: flashy, and everyone jumped on board. because buying Apple means buying into a lifesytle, just like wearing Ralf Lauren or driving a BMW. Buying Apple makes you "better" somehow more in tune with fashion and progressive. Don't ask me how, it just does. They don't deserve any credit for the technology. They do however deserve credit for selling an image extremely well. Most people buy into it completely and don't even know alternatives exist. They are great salesmen, but innovative? hardly.

[/rant]

My one friend who bought an ip4 got his refund for the bumper that he bought...so i guess apple did rectify things somewhat, still does not justify a flawed phone though. I dont care if it isn;t that big of a deal or not, your buying a piece of hardware that essentially does not work properly.

What is the point of your argument zmatt? Have you stopped to think how much technology exists with the sole purpose of making other technology more accessible?

Do you think the purpose of the iPhone is to make smart phones as a technology more accessible? No Apple isn't that charitable. The purpose of the iPhone is to make Apple lots and lots of money. That's how capitalism works.

I think being able to stream Netflix to a portable device other than a laptop (in 720p) is pretty "revolutionary".

Having purchased Mac products before, I can say first had that the computers/laptops are a huge waste of money, and they have been for a long while now. Yet that doesn't stop Apple from making a good product. If you want to argue that "it's all been done before" and the technology has been around, while Apple is making it more accessible, apply that same logic to video games, eh?

For example, take the TurboGrafx-16 (Turbo Duo) or the Sega CD add-on. First consoles to use CDs for video games, but weren't very successful at all. It wasn't until the Playstation came around that it was a serious market...now all our consoles use some form of CD. The technology already existed, but Sony just took the idea, ran with it, and now they are super successful.

Let's take your skype argument. Sure, video conferencing has been around for a while...but this is a mobile phone we're talking about here. Video conferencing on a telephone was introduced by AT&T in the mainstream a couple years ago, but only a few devices supported it and you needed to buy the service. It was a huge flop and not very popular. I never sold a single package when I worked for them. So, Apple made it a free service, and I'm almost positive it works 100 times better than AT&T's shoddy service.

What is technology? It changes every year. Components become smaller and more powerful, taking up less power, becoming more efficient. The iPhone took a lot of technology, muddled it together onto one small device, and ran with it. Sure, a lot of people may buy Apple because they think it makes them look cool, but that doesn't stop people from buying a product that's worth the money, especially with the ridiculously huge community behind it.

So call me an elitist I guess, because I love my iPhone, and I love the things I can do to customize it and maximize its potential as a device.

Do you think the purpose of the iPhone is to make smart phones as a technology more accessible? No Apple isn't that charitable. The purpose of the iPhone is to make Apple lots and lots of money. That's how capitalism works.

What I said was more in response to "just another example of a common and well done technology that Apple steals, puts a stupid name on, takes credit for and everyone bows down."

Your objections to Apple products seem to stem from an extremely common strategy in the technology arena and I would be curious to know what other companies fall within your criteria of being bad because they are infrequently "revolutionary".

I think being able to stream Netflix to a portable device other than a laptop (in 720p) is pretty "revolutionary".

Having purchased Mac products before, I can say first had that the computers/laptops are a huge waste of money, and they have been for a long while now. Yet that doesn't stop Apple from making a good product. If you want to argue that "it's all been done before" and the technology has been around, while Apple is making it more accessible, apply that same logic to video games, eh?

For example, take the TurboGrafx-16 (Turbo Duo) or the Sega CD add-on. First consoles to use CDs for video games, but weren't very successful at all. It wasn't until the Playstation came around that it was a serious market...now all our consoles use some form of CD. The technology already existed, but Sony just took the idea, ran with it, and now they are super successful.

Let's take your skype argument. Sure, video conferencing has been around for a while...but this is a mobile phone we're talking about here. Video conferencing on a telephone was introduced by AT&T in the mainstream a couple years ago, but only a few devices supported it and you needed to buy the service. It was a huge flop and not very popular. I never sold a single package when I worked for them. So, Apple made it a free service, and I'm almost positive it works 100 times better than AT&T's shoddy service.

What is technology? It changes every year. Components become smaller and more powerful, taking up less power, becoming more efficient. The iPhone took a lot of technology, muddled it together onto one small device, and ran with it. Sure, a lot of people may buy Apple because they think it makes them look cool, but that doesn't stop people from buying a product that's worth the money, especially with the ridiculously huge community behind it.

So call me an elitist I guess, because I love my iPhone, and I love the things I can do to customize it and maximize its potential as a device.

Nokia smartphones have offered video conferencing for years now.

I will admit I don't follow iPhone modding that closely but does it really offer that great of community support? AFAIK the iPhone doesn't have anything that can match the plethora of custom Android ROMs like CyanogenMod that offer numerous improvements and features you can't get anywhere else. Plus Android has XDA Developers which offers plenty of resources for customizing your device. Also now that Android is the best selling mobile OS in the US community support will only get better.

Nokia smartphones have offered video conferencing for years now.

I will admit I don't follow iPhone modding that closely but does it really offer that great of community support? AFAIK the iPhone doesn't have anything that can match the plethora of custom Android ROMs like CyanogenMod that offer numerous improvements and features you can't get anywhere else. Plus Android has XDA Developers which offers plenty of resources for customizing your device. Also now that Android is the best selling mobile OS in the US community support will only get better.

I agree that there is so much more you can do with an android based phone compared to the iPhone. Wasn't one of the "new" features of the latest version a customizable desktop??

I just wish I could get root on my phone (Cliq XT)

yeah, what's stopping you from getting a cheap usb web cam and skype? You know Apple has sold iSight in their iMacs for years. There is nothing new or revolutionary about video chat. it's been around since the 90's. just another example of a common and well done technology that Apple steals, puts a stupid name on, takes credit for and everyone bows down. There is nothing revolutionary about the iPhone, never was or has been. same with the iPod. MP3 players existed years before the iPod, as well as touch screen smart phones existing years before the iPhone. before Apple got involved the only people who used em were us geeks, because we are always early adopters. then Apple made it "better" read: flashy, and everyone jumped on board. because buying Apple means buying into a lifesytle, just like wearing Ralf Lauren or driving a BMW. Buying Apple makes you "better" somehow more in tune with fashion and progressive. Don't ask me how, it just does. They don't deserve any credit for the technology. They do however deserve credit for selling an image extremely well. Most people buy into it completely and don't even know alternatives exist. They are great salesmen, but innovative? hardly.

[/rant]

Sure their were touch screen phones and PDA devices before the iPhone, but they were all a pain to use and a lot of times you had to use a stylus which is a huge pain. When Apple made the iPhone they made the touch screen phone a lot simpler and more usable. Apple didn't invent touch screen phones but they did make them A LOT better then before. It's the same with iPods, MP3 players had been around for a long time before the iPod but the iPod was a lot easier to use then other MP3 players at the time and thats why Apple gets a lot of credit in the MP3 player department. iSight isn't anything new and nor were webcams when Apple put them in all their laptops and their iMacs, but they were one of the first company's to do what they did with them. And buying Apple products is not buying into a lifestyle. I know plenty of people who own Macs, iPods, and iPhones who live the same way they did before they bought their Apple products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom