If I change my motherboard, must I reinstall Windows Vista Business?

Ok, thanks guys. I think I am hearing you say I will probably need to re-install Windows Vista Business if I change the motherboards...

I wanted to avoid this because all the updates [Service Pack 1, Service Pack 2, etc.] required days upon days and was a total PITA. If I must re-install Windows after installing a new motherboard, then I will probably just ship this rig as is, using the old MB.

I have already spent way too much time on this rig. I wish I had simple used the new MB or thrown together a new rig using one of the new A4-3400 chips I have laying around...

Am I hearing you clearly, that I will need to reinstall Windows after installing a new MB?

Thanks,

Soar

Its a 50/50 shot honestly. Make sure the SATA mode in BIOS is the same and just try putting the drive on the new board. If it boots, great. If not, depending on the BSOD it gives, you can either try a repair or will have to reinstall.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Its a 50/50 shot honestly. Make sure the SATA mode in BIOS is the same and just try putting the drive on the new board. If it boots, great. If not, depending on the BSOD it gives, you can either try a repair or will have to reinstall.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thanks carnageX!

I will give it a whirl!

Good luck.

I've done it with a Win7 Pro install several times, going between 3 different laptops and it was fine. I also just swapped the HDD from my server into a new machine last night, and I had to enable drivers through the registry first because I couldn't change the SATA mode on the new system. That being said, I've also tried it on other people's systems (e.g. my fiance's old laptop going to a new laptop) and it didn't work - it just gave a BSOD and had to reformat / reinstall; but it was a Win7 Home Premium license.

Thanks carnageX!

I think there was a song with lyrics a long, long time ago, with the words, "The odds be 50/50."

Initials FZ.

Just call me the Riddler!

Have a good one!

Back
Top Bottom