i think i know why i get lower fps in Crysis/Crysis Warhead after upgrading my CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildside

Hellfire!
Just thinking about this while im at school today n i dont quite understand why this happened to me. Before, i had AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000+ BE AM2. When i upgraded to my current CPU, AMD Phenom II x4 940, my fps dropped down 10 fps in both games! I think i know what happened. Crysis must be optimized to run on dual-cores. Since my Phenom II is a native quad-core, it couldnt recognize or utilize the cores too well. Now if i had a Core 2 Quad, that has 2 dual-cores stuck together, then i bet i would of gotten a 5 fps or something boost instead of a 10 fps spike.

what i plan to do later on is upgrade to either 4GB or just make the jump to 6GB, idk because i would want to go DDR3 since the prices are dropping rapidly. Of course, i would be jumping to 64-bit, which is what i want to do too with Windows 7. Question is, would the extra RAM help me get back the fps i need? Another one is, what do u guys think what happened that caused my fps to spike down 10 fps in both games?

every other game i have increased in performance, as it shows using Fraps, but not Crysis/Crysis Warhead/Crysis Wars.

Re: i think i know why i get lower fps in Crysis/Crysis Warhead after upgrading my CP

18188.png

The fastest cpu at Crysis Warhead is a native quad, the Core i7 965, so that shouldn't the cause of the problem. The 45nm Core 2 Quad's do perform better in Crysis than the Phenom II's but they have 12mb of l2 cache as well as a lot of other architectural differences aside from not being native quads that could be responsible for their higher fps.

Did you try running Crysis with your cpu at stock and are you sure your overclock is stable?

What is your ram usage like when running Crysis? If you are coming close to using all of your ram then upgrading it might help but I'm not sure if it would give you a 10 fps increase.

Re: i think i know why i get lower fps in Crysis/Crysis Warhead after upgrading my CP

How stable is your OC? An unstable OC will lower your fps. Run IBT, if it passes then you are good. If not then there is your problem.

You also have a very mediocre PSU. 4 18a 12v rails. That will work, but if you aren't load balancing those rails then you could be running into issues. If you have the video card and cpu on the same rail then it could also explain your fps drop. If you pass IBT then this is the next thing I would check.

Your cpu is superior in every way to the one it replaced, so the only way you could get worse performance is if something is wrong. Either something is failing, or something is configured wrong. I think the two things I listed are pretty likely culprits. Check em out and report back your status.

the stress test i have is only AMD Overdrive. I'm sure im stable at 3.7GHz. I will try out IBT n see if i pass or not.

my 2 x 6pin connection is coming from the PSU, non-modular. Perhaps i should use modular 6pin cables then?

i do want to point out that several times already, my computer crashed without me there, so idk what error shows up. I will do the IBT test n report back on my status.

EDIT:

IBT, im finding many meanings, help plz?

the stress test i have is only AMD Overdrive. I'm sure im stable at 3.7GHz. I will try out IBT n see if i pass or not.

my 2 x 6pin connection is coming from the PSU, non-modular. Perhaps i should use modular 6pin cables then?

i do want to point out that several times already, my computer crashed without me there, so idk what error shows up. I will do the IBT test n report back on my status.

EDIT:

IBT, im finding many meanings, help plz?

What kind of readings? IBT should pass or not pass. It will say either test passed successfully, or it will stop and say there was an error. If there is any error then you aren't stable.

BTW, the computer randomly crashing points to some type of instability, cpu based or otherwise.

Just wondering do any of these burn test or torture tests lower the life span of the processor? I mean they push it pretty hard don't they? After about a couple dozen or so tests I would think it may take a toll...

Just wondering do any of these burn test or torture tests lower the life span of the processor? I mean they push it pretty hard don't they? After about a couple dozen or so tests I would think it may take a toll...

Not really. The only risk you would face is if you are running poor cooling and you get into the 80s or above. I don't know how high a core2 can go before it is damaged permanently, but the highest mine has ever gone in IBT was 71C and that scared me. You have a higher risk of damaging the cpu from high voltage from overclocking than high temps.

Not really. The only risk you would face is if you are running poor cooling and you get into the 80s or above. I don't know how high a core2 can go before it is damaged permanently, but the highest mine has ever gone in IBT was 71C and that scared me. You have a higher risk of damaging the cpu from high voltage from overclocking than high temps.

they go up to about 80c before beign permanently damaged and it needs to be a fairly long period of time.

Check your error log for the random crashes, they should be pretty easy to spot (they'll most likely have 'WARNING! or ERROR! with exlamations and red signs) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom