I think a neighbour(or someone) is hacking into my computer

daz5678

Beta member
Hello

I'm pretty sure a neighbour (or somebody) is hacking into my computer from some messages I have read, not blatantly obvious, but enough information to know it is most likely they either know what pages I'm going to on the internet, or they may have complete access...for example, a comment was made about a particular webpage I surfed. They use the same internet provider and the same model of router I believe. When I click on the little internet tab in the bottom right corner, I know they are online, because they are using an SSID name that relates to them and there are only 4 or 5 SSID'S listed max.
1. Firstly, is there any way I can find/prove they might be hacking into my computer?
2. Secondly, how do I stop this?
3. If this person has got into my computer through the internet, can they access my word documents, or items on the desktop, or view just what pages I surf?
4. I was wondering if it's that easy to access my Belkin router when I have WPA2 – PSK security type – a number code is needed to access. As they have the same router, and with so few SSID's showing in the local area, I'm pretty sure they know what my SSID is.
5. One thought, is it possible they could just enter the belkin page 192.168.2.1 on their computer, type in my SSID, click on the security tab where the password is shown, and then uncheck the obscure PSK which reveals the password, and then set up an SSID connection in my SSID name with that password and access my computer/internet connection. Or perhaps I am totally off the mark on how they might access my computer and they are accessing it another way??
6. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but i've been getting terrible internet connection. It's very slow and sometimes the blue screen of death comes up. This may have nothing to do with it, but I also get a message from firefox saying something is trying to trick firefox into accepting a secure update, and also everytime I try to sign out of hotmail on any of the three browsers I use, the page tries to log out, but doesn't complete. The only way to log out is when I click on clear internet cookies during the log out process, then it works. And my computer can never shut down properly. All that comes up is a green screen with the words shutting down and it stays like that forever, so I have to turn the power off.
5. To note, the WAN MAC address on my router is different to my WAN > MAC address on the Belkin page 192.168.2.1 - this is because I changed the mac address on my belkin page several times due to the slow internet connection. Does this matter?
6. Finally, on the Belkin page 192.168.2.1 , the FIREWALL, MAC ADDRESS filtering, which lists up to 32 computers, is empty. Should I change this?

I've tried using superantispyware, Malwarebytes and Avast, but it shows nothing. But if they have access through my internet connection would this software help at all?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Are you using WiFi at your house or a public place? Have you secured the WiFi with WPA2? Have you changed the WPA2 password? Have you gone in and revoked access to any machine but yours?

Are you using WiFi at your house or a public place? Have you secured the WiFi with WPA2?

The router I use is a basic belkin wireless router – so I'm not sure if it qualifies as wi-fi. Don't use other equipment for my PC except speakers, printer and USB wireless adapter. I use a WPA2 security code for my SSID. I only use the PC at home.

Haveyou changed the WPA2 password?

I haven't changed the SSID WPA2 password. But if they can access my belkin page (or perhaps they can't), can't they just find out thepassword anyway??

I don't have a log in PASSWORD to my belkin page to access details, it's just left blank. Not sure how to set up a password for that. I have a WPA2 password for my SSID.

Have you gone in and revoked access to any machine but yours?

Not sure how to do this. Any advice?

Cheers.

Are you using WiFi at your house or a public place? Have you secured the WiFi with WPA2?

The router I use is a basic belkin wireless router – so I'm not sure if it qualifies as wi-fi. Don't use other equipment for my PC except speakers, printer and USB wireless adapter. I use a WPA2 security code for my SSID. I only use the PC at home.

Haveyou changed the WPA2 password?

I haven't changed the SSID WPA2 password. But if they can access my belkin page (or perhaps they can't), can't they just find out thepassword anyway??

I don't have a log in PASSWORD to my belkin page to access details, it's just left blank. Not sure how to set up a password for that. I have a WPA2 password for my SSID.

Have you gone in and revoked access to any machine but yours?

Not sure how to do this. Any advice?

Cheers.

The MAC Address filtering page is where you would enter your computers' / devices' MAC addresses so only those devices are able to connect, even if the password for the wireless is known.

So basically you left your wireless internet connection open for anyone to use and you wonder why they can access your PC and get your history? You took no steps to protect yourself. This is like leaving the keys in your car and the doors unlocked. Then hanging a big neon sign above it that says "Hey Steal me".

If you had any questions about WiFi Security, all you had to do was look in the owners manual or online. There are guides every where for this type of thing. So go to Belkin.com, find out what model you have and look up the owners manual.

Yes Setup a password for the Belkin webpage, no they wont be able to get it. As long as you use a secure password. From there do to your Wireless settings and put a password on the WiFi connection. This will stop anyone who doesnt have access to the password access to your connection.

Please do not put the font size above 2. There is no need for it. That font size is more than large enough for use. Thank you.

So basically you left your wireless internet connection open for anyone to use and you wonder why they can access your PC and get your history? You took no steps to protect yourself. This is like leaving the keys in your car and the doors unlocked. Then hanging a big neon sign above it that says "Hey Steal me".

If you had any questions about WiFi Security, all you had to do was look in the owners manual or online. There are guides every where for this type of thing. So go to Belkin.com, find out what model you have and look up the owners manual.

Yes Setup a password for the Belkin webpage, no they wont be able to get it. As long as you use a secure password. From there do to your Wireless settings and put a password on the WiFi connection. This will stop anyone who doesnt have access to the password access to your connection.

Please do not put the font size above 2. There is no need for it. That font size is more than large enough for use. Thank you.

Hey Mak... you removed some of my replies from my quoted reply above when you were changing the font size ;).

OK. I've entered a log in password on my belkin page... I asked about entering a log in password to the belkin operators i spoke to on the phone, (as I kept losing internet connection a long time ago) and they said to leave the log in password blank...
Worryingly, i just went to control panel, network and sharing centre, and deleted my SSID on the manage wireless networks section. I restarted my computer, and clicked on the icon in the bottom right corner to find my SSID was still showing when it gave a list of networks. I guess that confirms someone else has set up a connection with this name. I'm now going to have to change my SSID name.
Can, I ask, what information would this person have had access to on my computer. Just the pages I was looking at, or everything on my PC?
It's unbelievable.

Tryin to take credit for my suggestions, I see how it is :p.

No. Just didnt realize that some people dont know how to type outside the Quote BBCode Tags. :p

Yes they were your remarks as well and you had some of them first. But not all. :p

OK. I've entered a log in password on my belkin page... I asked about entering a log in password to the belkin operators i spoke to on the phone, (as I kept losing internet connection a long time ago) and they said to leave the log in password blank...
Worryingly, i just went to control panel, network and sharing centre, and deleted my SSID on the manage wireless networks section. I restarted my computer, and clicked on the icon in the bottom right corner to find my SSID was still showing when it gave a list of networks. I guess that confirms someone else has set up a connection with this name. I'm now going to have to change my SSID name.
Can, I ask, what information would this person have had access to on my computer. Just the pages I was looking at, or everything on my PC?
It's unbelievable.

Yes I would change your SSID, now that they know what it is, they will do what they can to try and gain access again.

It all depends on what you had shared via the network. They could have seen your documents and pictures if they knew what they were doing, or they could have just gotten access to your browsing history. It depends on how good they are. There is no way for us to answer such a question.

Back
Top Bottom