Home Network from 7 to XP

Epifire

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I'd been wanting to be able to have a instant sharing option with my two computers. My main PC (the one that runs on 7) is my development rig and I wanted to build for an old game mod on it. However I need the compatibility of XP to run the game's level editor and compiler.

At one point I had connected both to a router and set them to the same homegroup and opened up sharing options. It worked fine and I basically had them linked. Now the router has changed locations so I decided to try and just connect them with a simple Ethernet cord as I had read it should work after some research.

Basically it was most of the same things I'd done before, but for some reason I'm not finding the XP machine in my Network on the main computer. However the XP Machine does see the connection but just says it has limited or no connectivity. So I guess if this should work I'm kinda trying to find the reasons why it currently is not working. Just trying to find my options here. Thanks in advance!

Are you using gigabit Ethernet on both PCs?
Crossover cable needed maybe?
Taking shots in the dark here...

You need to use a crossover cable when linking two PCs via a single cable.

I'm no master at this kind of thing but I'm going to assume that a crossover cable is a bit more specific then just the standard Cat5?

Pretty certain both run on Gigabit Ethernet, as I just ran a quick check through the device managers for both to confirm that under Network adapters. The older PC is a HP dc5750 (which should have the same stock networking hardware). The new one running 7 is a FalconNW rig, using an ASUS P8p67 deluxe mobo.

Not sure if that helps at all since I'm pretty green to the specifics but I'm willing to fill in more info about the two machines if I know what I'm looking for.

I'm no master at this kind of thing but I'm going to assume that a crossover cable is a bit more specific then just the standard Cat5?

This will illustrate the difference:
straight-through-vs-crossover-cables.jpg

Oh yeah that actually helps a lot. If this is a required step in the linking process, what are my options then? Most the time I figure cable quality is about the same but I figure if I gotta special order a certain type I might as well get a good one.

Oh wow, that place knows their prices. Definitely gonna bookmark those guys for the future. I'll be back here with a follow up after those arrive in the mail. Thanks for the really quick responses!

Oh wow, that place knows their prices. Definitely gonna bookmark those guys for the future. I'll be back here with a follow up after those arrive in the mail. Thanks for the really quick responses!

Yup, they're great for cable prices.

Just ordered 4 microUSB cables a few days ago, and it was $0.83 / cable. The shipping was more than the cables themselves :lol:.

Back
Top Bottom