help! installing ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah you don't have to change the boot sequence in the BIOS, just open the boot menu on startup.

Well, my boot sequence is this:

Removable disks (USB drives), CD, HDD, Net... Boot next = "true"

I usually use Germany mirror site when downloading any Linux distro, for some reason it is faster than the USA mirror.

Lol Same thing happened to me yesterday with the live cd for Ubuntu. It wouldn't boot. The first time I burned it was with Nero and it didn't work. The second time I burned it with powerISO and it just worked on reboot. And I used the same dvd to burn both times.

Yeah nero is weird like that,

prometheus66 first you need to D/L the Iso from here: http://www.ubuntu.com/download

then D/L
http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/v1.htm (XP only)

then open the location of the iso> right click> copy image to CD

Here are some Freeware burning apps for you to check out also
Deep burner free: http://www.deepburner.com/?r=download

1. Start DeepBurner Free
2. Choose "Burn ISO Image"
3. Choose "Next"
4. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd
5. Select the ISO file
6. Click on "Burn ISO"

Or alternitivly you can use nero or Roxio easy CD creator, these have to be purchased though might be somthing for you to look into

Check out http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm for more detailed instructions

hope this Helps,

Jake

ok, now i got it to boot, but now im having some problems when im trying to install ubuntu. right now i have windows installed on one partition and then another partition is just blank which i wanted to install ubuntu onto. what im having trouble with is the whole mounting process. what does being a "root" do? also for the swap space, should that be formatted into "linux-swap" ?

when i tried to install it, the partition i wanted ubuntu installed= the root, another partition=linux swap space, and then the windows partion (i set this partition to "/home"), i got an error saying the partition that has windows couldnt be mounted.

can you help me out?

alright more problems, windows isnt booting up (some file is missing after trying to install ubuntu). looks like i have to reinstall windows. no big deal, nothing important was saved on the computer.

anyways, suggestions of what to do? can someone help me out with what my previous post? im going to install windows again, then ill try installing ubuntu again, im still confused with the partitioning and mounting part.

what format should the partition be that ubuntu is installing to?

what format should be the swap space? "Linux-swap"?

what do i designate the "root" with the "/"

think of root as the administrator account, think of / as c:/.. linux has a different file system structer.

You need 3 parititions 1. Windows (whatever you want it ntfs/fat32).. 2. Linux-swap (around about the same amount as your ram.. my linux swap is 512mb) 3. Linux partition (exfts2? or something like that dunno, havnt done this in a while ext2?)

Ok, once that goes all good, you can chuck in ya ubuntu cd, Usually the parition you want it to installl to, ubuntu will go and format it.. and it should even do the swap aswell.. alltho you dont even have to have a swap paritition, just makes it faster.

Mounting filesystems is done from within linux/ubuntu.. the main linuxy ones are usually done on boot, however windows partitions are usually not mounted until you do it by hand. Just hope your kernel has ntfs support. I personally dont like ubuntu, I dont like gnome.. if you want "smooth sailing" try Fedora 5 or Suse 10.1, if you want hardcore linuxness hard read heaps fun stuff, try Slackware 10.2 (thats what I'm using, then again I thrive on geeky stuff)

prometheus66 said:
alright more problems, windows isnt booting up (some file is missing after trying to install ubuntu). looks like i have to reinstall windows. no big deal, nothing important was saved on the computer.

anyways, suggestions of what to do? can someone help me out with what my previous post? im going to install windows again, then ill try installing ubuntu again, im still confused with the partitioning and mounting part.

what format should the partition be that ubuntu is installing to?

what format should be the swap space? "Linux-swap"?

what do i designate the "root" with the "/"

Boot into the Windows CD and go into the Recovery Console, when it ask which partition you want to fix, select C: and enter the password for an administrator account. Now type fixmbr and fixboot now type exit and it will reboot, take the CD out and see if you can get back into Windows. When you get back, try to reinstall Ubuntu again, this time you mount the root directory "\" to the partition that you created for Ubuntu and format it with the ext3 file system. Then mount the swap on the partition you created for the swap.

Take a look here http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6104490811311898236

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom