Google Announces PC Operating System

Status
Not open for further replies.

james.wired

Equator Gringo
Google Announces PC Operating System to Compete with Windows | Epicenter | Wired.com

Google is releasing a lightweight, open-source PC-operating system later this year, the company announced Tuesday night, a move that threatens the very heart of Microsoft, long seen as Google's biggest rival.

Chrome OS is intended to be a very lightweight, quick-starting operating system whose central focus is supporting Google's Chrome browser. Applications will run mostly inside the browser, making the web — not the desktop — into the computer's default operating system.

It's a sign that Google truly believes in the age of cloud computing — where the usefulness of a computer is in its connection to the net where data is stored remotely and information processing happens in a dance between a browser and remote servers.

Maybe I don't understand the article completely, but one thing is I would like to continue having data stored locally not remotely..

Hahaha thanks Hefe, was wondering where the heck it went :p I didn't see that other thread, my bad. You can delete this one I guess.

I was chasing my tail there for a second :p

Edit: Also, I should have known Osiris would have it posted first somewhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom