Introducing the Google Chrome OS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Google Inc. is planning to hit Microsoft Corp. where it hurts by challenging the software giant's dominance in the world of computer operating systems.
The search firm said late Tuesday that it will begin offering its own operating system, called Chrome, in the second half of 2010.
While Google already offers a host of products that compete with Microsoft (MSFT, Fortune 500), the new operating system is a direct challenge to Microsoft Windows, which is the most widely used operating system in the world.
"We hear a lot from our users, and their message is clear: computers need to get better," Google said in a statement. Chrome is "our attempt to re-think what operating systems should be."
The new system will initially be targeted at netbooks, the company said. Netbooks are small, inexpensive laptop computers used mostly for Internet access.
Google (GOOGLE) said Chrome will make use of open source programming, which allows third-party developers to design compatible add-ons. (Think of the applications created for the iPhone or Facebook.)

Google launches Chrome OS - challenges Microsoft - Jul. 8, 2009

Well folks it is true. Google has a information up on their company blog about it.

What they say is that it will be designed for Netbooks. It will be lightweight, designed with speed, security and simplicity in mind. Considering their failure at this attempt with the browser kinda hard to see how they will do a whole OS based around it.

Right now they are attempting for a 2nd Half 2010 debut on Netbooks. The Code for the OS wont be released to Open Source till later this year.

They are saying it will work with both x86 and the ARM chips. Leaving no talk of x64 at this time. Which if you ask me is kinda counter productive. They talk about going back to the basics. Saying that today current OS's were designed back when the Web wasnt around. But yet they are not making the Chrome OS future proof by giving it the one thing that it needs. 64 Bit compatibility.

Chrome OS will run on top of a Linux Kernel. Here is a quote:

Google Chrome running within a new windowing system on top of a Linux kernel. For application developers, the web is the platform. All web-based applications will automatically work and new applications can be written using your favorite web technologies. And of course, these apps will run not only on Google Chrome OS, but on any standards-based browser on Windows, Mac and Linux thereby giving developers the largest user base of any platform.

So let me get this straight. They are claiming the largest user base because of the fact that they can work off of the internet? Okay, i agree. But what about tasks that can not be performed on the internet Google? What if i want to create a slideshow, or burn a home movie? Where is your Apps for that? What can i do to accomplish that?

Chrome OS is separate from Android.

Google Chrome OS is being created for people who spend most of their time on the web, and is being designed to power computers ranging from small netbooks to full-size desktop systems. While there are areas where Google Chrome OS and Android overlap, we believe choice will drive innovation for the benefit of everyone, including Google.

I find this funny. It is being created for people who spend most of their time on the web. But you make no mention which package manager you will use so that we at least have a understanding of what else we might be able to do. Not every single task can be dealt with online.

I dont know really. From where i am sitting, they are promising a lot without being able to give it all. Taking away something major that is needed (x64) while claiming that OS's now are stuck in the past. Hello Google! x86 is the oldest platform out there!!!

A lot to live up to while being a disappointment at the same time. We will just have to wait and see later this year.

Re: Google launches OS - calls out Microsoft

lol they really want the name chrome to be a household name dont they.

i doubt it'll be a challenger to microsoft, i prefer windows mobile OS over their android anyway

Moved and merged the threads. It is not a Windows OS or software. It is open source and should be here.

Please...calling out Microsoft when they dont even have x64? They are using just as old software as M$ and they think they are calling them out? Give me a break...

Google Announces PC Operating System

Google Announces PC Operating System to Compete with Windows | Epicenter | Wired.com

Google is releasing a lightweight, open-source PC-operating system later this year, the company announced Tuesday night, a move that threatens the very heart of Microsoft, long seen as Google's biggest rival.

Chrome OS is intended to be a very lightweight, quick-starting operating system whose central focus is supporting Google's Chrome browser. Applications will run mostly inside the browser, making the web — not the desktop — into the computer's default operating system.

It's a sign that Google truly believes in the age of cloud computing — where the usefulness of a computer is in its connection to the net where data is stored remotely and information processing happens in a dance between a browser and remote servers.

Maybe I don't understand the article completely, but one thing is I would like to continue having data stored locally not remotely.

Thoughts?

That's the biggest thing that disappoints me... no x64 support. Really? That's a requirement for me. I guess since they figure it's going to be used mainly in netbooks, they don't need x64?? Still makes no sense to me. I'll stick with Windows and my choice of one of the other flavors of *nix.

Seems suitable for phones and other electronics that can only utilize what it has to offer and nothing more..

Doesn't seem like it would be useful for any kind of computer to me. The web browser the main OS? That's pretty much saying the only thing you can do is look at the internet. I'm assuming you can't use any 3rd party software. Yeah it's a netbook but you still need other programs too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom