Firefox May Already Be Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firefox got that high because it was extraordinarily faster than the competition, it was stable and reliable, and has extremely good software support. At the rate firefox is going, it is becomming a resouce hog, slower, and unstable. Just as quick as firefox gained this market share, if this trend continues and a real alternative comes out, it will lose its market share.

There are a couple of chronic problems with the FF series.

1) the CPU spike problem. Doesn't happen to everyone, but when it does happen, it's a major headache to get rid of

2) memory usage; once it's been open for a while, I don't know what happens, but many websites with active content (Pandora, StumbleUpon) just break. You just need to close and reopen FF

But I mean, all in all, it's like the Cadillac Escalade of web browsers. IE is the Corolla, and Chrome is the Honda Prelude. I guess Opera would be like a Yamaha?

And ever since the Google Desktop fiasco, I will never intentionally install Google software on my computer. Why in Jehova's name would I want Google to know the entire contents of my HDD?

I've been using Firefox for quite some time, definitely since before v1...we actually recommend it in our computer shop simply because of the updated security. While it's great that we get return customers for system cleans, we don't want them back THAT quickly.

I've tried Chrome, and it's ok. It's speedy, which is a plus...although with my connection speed it's barely noticeable next to FF. There was just something about the feel of it that I didn't like. I was really excited about it when the plans were first spoken about, but to me it was sort of a let down.

Not to say FF hasn't let me down before. FF 1.0.7 is still my favorite version. I didn't upgrade to 1.5 for the longest time until I was almost forced to, since 1.5 had RAM sink issues...600mb of 1gb taken up just for having one tab open overnight? Yeah...disappointing. Version 2 brought the nice feature of bringing back your windows if it crashed...which was useful, since it crashed more often than previous versions. Version 3 is getting back too the feel and functionality I liked about older versions, but it still needs work.

Mozilla really paved the way for open source browsers, we all know that. But with the massive support, the hundreds of add-ons and plugins, it's not dead yet. Chrome had a good bit of problems with it's first major release, the most prevalent I can remember being the issue with flash applications/videos hanging (which mysteriously was fixed by clicking on the tab). I think Mozilla needs to get their stuff in order and work on seeing the big picture again, and I still feel like v3 is a step in the right direction considering the version that preceded it.

Firefox will still be my browser of choice, and I don't see myself switching anytime soon.

If it weren't for all of the addons and extensions that I use with Firefox then I would maybe switch to Chrome just because of the speed but I just cant bring myself to do it.

Firefox got that high because it was extraordinarily faster than the competition, it was stable and reliable, and has extremely good software support. At the rate firefox is going, it is becomming a resouce hog, slower, and unstable. Just as quick as firefox gained this market share, if this trend continues and a real alternative comes out, it will lose its market share.

I dunno what you're talking about. Firefox is just as fast as it was, and just as stable. I don't ever have problems. Occasionally it will shut off, but it's not a big deal as I just hit restore session and I'm back just as I was. Honestly, what program doesn't mess up every now and then?

As far as memory, sure, it uses more than most browsers... but that also doesn't bother me. I've never seen it use more than 200MB, and I have 4GB so...not an issue.

Plus, of all the browsers, Firefox is by far the most customizable, which is what I love about it. You can literally do just about anything with Firefox because of all the addons.

I've tried Chrome and I really disliked it. I didn't really see any speed difference that would make me care, and it's ugly, and doesn't have the functionality that my Firefox has.

I don't see Firefox dying anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom