Final Fantasy XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to the ATI sites to make sure I had all the correct drivers. Apparently I do according to the site. :-/ I don't know, I'm kinda thinking the heat sink is not on properly, because when I got it I had to open up the tower and click it back in to place. Maybe that can be related?

Also I was wondering what drivers you were referring to? GPU drivers?

Not that it really matters, but I just saw this topic and was curious. I ended up with a 3075 with a GTX275 (MSI OC'd) the 1055 at between 3.4 and 3.5 on high. Was really hoping for more lol, but oh well, perhaps an upgrade is in the near future for the 275.

At least you broke over a thousand. :-/ I'm still wracking my brain over what could be the problem for me.

So your still having problems with it? I think as Slaymate said
Well your i3 530 is only a dual-core cpu, it does have Hyper-Threading which can help a little but it's far short of 4 actual cores
(if i quoted it wrong sorry) is your CPU is limiting your score. But did you buy that computer pre-built? And if so could you post what model it is so we can find the full specs on the computer to try and help you get a better score.

it is a dell Studio XPS 8100. I think they come with an Intel Core i5 now. Also I did bought it pre-owned. I didn't have much money at the time. When I got it, it didn't have any external damage on it. However when I plugged my monitor to the motherboard I didn't get any signal, but there are 2 extension slots that had DVI ports, so I used one of them.

Also the Heatsink or fan wasn't attached to the CPU, so I had to attach it back on. Which leads me to believe that maybe it doesn't have any thermal grease on it (since I didn't notice anything like that on it). It shuts down from time to when I run certain applications on it though, or when its been on for a while. I just tried playing the King Arthur demo and it just shut off literally just 11 minutes ago.

Update: I just ran that Speccy program just to see exactly what my graphics card is (H213H @ 1920x1080 ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series) & it has what I would assume to be the temperature of the CPU hovering around 81-83 degrees Celsius. Pretty messed up I think. :-(

Well those temps are not good. which means you probably have some thermal paste on the CPU but its not making full contact. So it is very possible the CPU is over heating. You Should get some Arctic Silver 5 (i don't know if this is the best compound but i know its a good one) and also be sure if you do you completely remove the old thermal compound. Use ether the compounds that arctic silver offer to remove it or look online for what would be best. The Bad news is that the CPU could possibly be damaged if it was continuously overheating. let us know how it works out.

Thanks for the advice. I was looking up ways to do just that, removing an old paste and applying a new one. If it is damaged, (which I hope its not) then it will give me an opportunity to put in a CPU I suppose.

I just play a little of Crysis, and ran the FF 14 benchmark at both low and high and wow, what a huge difference. I couldn't find any Artic Silver 5 compound so I bought one from Antec.

Unhook the heat sink (which the fasteners were a little messed up I think). Clean off the old grease which was dry and didn't make any sort of contact with the CPU :-(. Figured it didn't because I couldn't find any residue on the CPU. Follow some instructions I had and applied it on the heat sink and CPU. Reattached the heat sink correctly this time. Check the temp and voilà! Dramatic difference, temps hovering from 25 - 30 degrees Celsius.

Everything is a lot faster and smoother :big_smile:. I just like to thank everyone who helped me with advice and constructive commentary, thank you so much. I repped everyone involved in the thread from my post on.

On a side note, my FF 14 scores were 2344 on high and 3265 on low. Not too shabby considering it is leaps and bounds from 623 :lol:. So I'm happy.

Awsome Davatho, thats a much better score :D and appears your CPU wasnt damamged from the lack of cooling congrats on getiing it worked out. Hope to see you on FFIV when it comes out.

As far as benchmark goes, overclocked cpu from 3.0 to 3.6 and vid card from 750/900 to 800/950 and score jumped from 1468 to 2682 high.

And as far as the beta goes, i've been running it at 1920x1200 with all the options off, shadows on average (medium) and it runs smooth. Only around 30-40fps if i had to guestimate (no fraps). Once i start turning things up it starts lagging.
I imagine i could turn things up a bit if i dropped the resolution. Hate doing that though.

Beta phase 3 is starting mid august, theres supposed to be a lot of improvements with the phase 3 build. Can't wait to see how it runs.
Game's looking pretty good though ^^ fun to play. Still needs a fair amount of work, and lots of balancing but i'll be keeping my CE preorder for sure ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom