FAQ: What Programming Language Should I Start With?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about one line?:

python: print("Hello world")
lisp: (format t "hello world!")

what's the point of learning c# or Java when you have already learnt c/c++? (after all, they are in the same family, your better off learning python, at least it is trying to be different).. Learning assembly? I believe time will be much better spend learning something useful, such as writing a compiler, lisp, or anything else..

furtivefelon said:
How about one line?:

python: print("Hello world")
lisp: (format t "hello world!")

I wasn't actually "asking" that as a question. Just wanted to emphasize how simple "C" really is. There are many languages that can do that in just "one" line. :)

furtivefelon said:
what's the point of learning c# or Java when you have already learnt c/c++?

b/c they are useful in many types of infrastructure. All languages have their advantages. Otherwise, people wouldn't use them.

furtivefelon said:
Learning assembly? I believe time will be much better spend learning something useful,

Assembly is extremely useful to know if you go into embedded development. And in general, as a "programmer" you should know it. It's like being a English teacher without knowing much about Shakespeare.

As a beginner its better to start off with C programming language because it is the easiest programming language to learn.

Develop your programming skills, master C and then jump on to others.

d language

I have read a lot about the langugages C, C++ c# Java
however I wnder about the D language
can you help me to understand the pros or cons about this language?.
what is the " enterprize level" size based
.- amount of products being sold
.- amount of data in the web
.- size of web space ( pages ,)
.- if you can give me numbers ,
.- Or other reason ?
like more than 500 products or more than 5000 thousand pages

when do you use PHP?
when do ou use Phyton?

thank you fo ryour time
and I holpe someday I will be like you guys

Where did you get "Enterprise level" from? If you haven't heard of a language in the mainstream press, it's not used in enterprise..

D is negligible in all areas you mentioned, at least number wise, in other words, it's not used much in industry, if you want to get a code monkey job, continue with c++/java/php or whatnot.. Though, i cannot say definitely, you may be able to prove me wron g by getting a job using D?

If you program for the fun of it, explore new things, don't wait til a language gets settled, every "settled" language gathers dust and become unwieldy over time.. only to be replaced by a new up and coming language promising this and that..

http://www.php.net/
http://www.python.org/

read it, both are popular languages, official site should be your first stop..

hello furtivefelon!
thank you for your input
to answer your questions
I read some reviews about PHP being unsuitable for enterprise proyects , naming Java, and C++, C# like the best choices
that only PHP can be used for " small web sites , this question makes me wonder if instead of using php I should look for Phyton instead ,
being new at this amazing new world for me I would like to have a solid foundation even though that my initital goal was to create a web site for my construction company , the more I look into HTML, land then lead to Javascript ,CSS, now DOM , Ajax,ect.
Now PHP

I am very excited about learning PHP and Phyton , But my next question is should I skip the former and go straight to the php
and phyton ?
I would like to build websites for small business like me
I really want to become a expert like all of you ,
about D programing I can not find books about it I lookinto the official website , they claim to be better than java and C++ but I did not see any excitment abut this language so that made me wonder about the "D":
I would like to jump to the " big and real programing languages but I realize it will take yearsbut everthing seems to be incredibly interesting .
I have seen your other reviews and I appreciate than you took the time . Well after all I got the programing title of "Monkey" and "virgin" LOL. well that is a place to start !

Would like to apologize for the carless typing !
I know that bad typing insults the respect of the readers .
specialy for "detail oriented "people like programers

I have research lisp and it seems that it is a powerful language
What languages do I need ,to learn Lisp?
I want a general purpose language , that I can use on the web, e- commerce and stand alone application . I understand the philosophy of furtivefelon, I do not have to follow the mainstream laguages because I have to program as I am told by the companies that pay my check .

I visited some of the CLISP( common Lisp) websites (http://www.paulgraham.com/index.html)
and they explain why Lisp is not as popular , it was an honest essay and I was sold.

it better for me to have efficientand powerful language than having a popular language.
I think I will make my goal to learn Lisp,
I just need to know what skills to get there.
so far, Mr furtivefelon

what is the real lisp commonlisp or the ansiclisp there are so many dialects , I would like to know which one is the real lisp and where can
I download it from . thank you

Speaking strictly from a broader point of view, an object-oriented language like C++ or Java would be very good to start out with, since it is easier I imagine to learn OOP design right off the bat, rather than supplementing your procedural programming knowledge with it.

Since C++ is generally considered more difficult, Java is a wonderful choice for a beginner. There are thousands of Java reference and tutorial sites for beginner and users of all levels, so that's definitely my recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom