FAQ: What Programming Language Should I Start With?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emily

Daemon Poster
What Programming Language Should I Start With?

If you've never programmed a "Hello world" in your life, you might want to try HTML first. HTML might seem elementary, but it's an excellent introduction to the ideas of syntax and basic programming. In addition, all web programming languages are pretty much useless without HTML.

When you've got HTML down, a popular beginning language is Visual Basic. Some people claim VB isn't a "real" programming language, but it is powerful despite its simplicity. Most computer-literate users also find the IDE (Intergrated Development Environment) to be pretty friendly, if expensive. Almost all Visual Basic books come with a working model edition that serves the needs of most beginners.

If you've had some prior programming experience or you are exceptionally good with computers, you might want to try something a little more advanced. For desktop programming, you'll hear C++ from a lot of people; C, C#, and JAVA are also good options that won't lead you astray. PHP is a good choice for web programming that's very up-and-coming; PERL and ASP are also popular web programming choices.

thanks im curently working on html and i just wanted to know what i should go into next java script or php

HTML

I haven't heard much dispute about whether VB is a programming language. It is a bit slow but doubtlessly very powerful.

HTML however, isn't really a programming language. The most non-static thing HTML has is a form...

By the way, I recommend JavaScript. Free, and shows you the basics of syntax. The code is exactly like ActionScript, and very simliar to the C's and JAVA. VB however, has longer code (although Microsofts VB compiler types some of the code for you) and is...non-standard.

php!!!! of course i'm gonna say that though :) php is a really good language to get down, i've built pretty complex apps with it and i really like creating good web applications, i've also see [u[very[/u] complex apps written entirely in php and some javascript....but for the most part php will do everything that you want it to do! :)

I've heard a lot as far as "VB isn't a langauge" lot of the people who program C\C++ say that because they like to waste thier time making simple apps that could be made in minutes with VB. They may a little slower but not enough that it will matter.

Wow. How can you say HTML is a programming language...

C would be the easiest and probably most proficient language to start with if you want to program. But I may be wrong.. you might just want to web "program".

r34p3r said:
Wow. How can you say HTML is a programming language...
I never said it's a programming language, I just said it's a good thing to know if you're starting programming... :freak:

I've got an actionscript for games book, it is quite entertaining (cos you can play on your "creations") and it is very useful because it is quite like Javascript (which in turn is quite standard in terms of syntax etc)

Plus you get the benefit of playing with graphics which always makes a nice break :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom