Ethernet controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpRi7e

Solid State Member
Ok well my friend has a Dell dimension 4300S that he got and we reformatted it with the windows xp sp2 disc and when we were done it said the ethernet controller driver wasn't installed. I've gone on the Dell website and it didn't help any for it because they are so outdated that they only work for lower than windows xp (2000, 98, ME) I've looked on this site and couldn't find any help for it. Does anyone know a good site for it or have an exact link that could work for this?

The only irony i find in these reinstalls is that people usually only have one comp and their internet doesn't work, so they can get to the website. lol

The only irony i find in these reinstalls is that people usually only have one comp and their internet doesn't work, so they can get to the website. lol

But then how are they asking questions on a Web forum? :) I would also tend to disagree with the "people usually only have one comp" part, as most people had Windows 98-era comps, but hardly anyone still uses them as their main comp, thus people probably have a backup comp with Ethernet capability in their attic or whatever. I happen to actively use all of my old comps though.

I would've thought that it would have installed automatically, considering Windows XP has drivers for pretty much all supported pre-XP hardware. But, if you can find Windows 2000 drivers, they more than likely will work in XP, since the two OS'es are very similar (and a lot of drivers are simply made for 2k/XP together).

But then how are they asking questions on a Web forum? :) I would also tend to disagree with the "people usually only have one comp" part, as most people had Windows 98-era comps, but hardly anyone still uses them as their main comp, thus people probably have a backup comp with Ethernet capability in their attic or whatever. I happen to actively use all of my old comps though.

I would've thought that it would have installed automatically, considering Windows XP has drivers for pretty much all supported pre-XP hardware. But, if you can find Windows 2000 drivers, they more than likely will work in XP, since the two OS'es are very similar (and a lot of drivers are simply made for 2k/XP together).

Oh you got me there. I also agree that people have more than one computer. I just wanted to state a hypothetical situation.

Looks like the link that Snake91839 provided should have the drivers your friend will need.... Hope you learned a new lesson, lol, make sure to have drivers onhand BEFORE a format. (I've learned that one the hard way myself, lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom