Entry-level Help Desk: What to expect?

No reply huh? Wow make sure you write up a collective post! I'm actually replying from a Help Desk right now -.- haha the job is tiring so I hope you have good people skills

Sorry for the delayed reply! The second interview went well - the guy was impressed with how I did on the technical test for not having much in the way of IT work experience. Overall everyone seemed happy so now I'm just waiting to hear back!!

I've actually got a followup question. I was going to make a separate thread for it, but I thought I could just tie it into this one. So as I mentioned before, I have my A+ and Network+ certifications already. My career goal is to one day work in Information Security. I'm trying to research and decide what certification I want to go after next. I was thinking CCNA would be the next logical choice, but then I talked to a few people who recommended the CISA as many companies will hire someone with CISA and a college degree to do their technical audits and audit positions often lead to security positions. Does anyone have any thoughts??

CISA looks like it would be a good choice - for starters you could do the Security+ from CompTIA as well.

Glad to hear the interview went well!

I'm actually on the same path - I'm in an entry level position trying to eventually work my way into infosec. Glad to hear that your interview went well.

As far as certifications go, it seems logical to first get the CCNA and then the CISA simply because CISA requires a number of years of work experience before you can take the exam. Right now I wouldn't even be eligible to take the exam, but I could take the CCNA (and probably fail it without some more practice and studying).

If you got your CompTIA A+ and Net+ certs within that last two years (meaning that they would have to be renewed every 3 years) then I would wait on Security+ unless an employer needs you to get it right away - the reason being that passing it would renew both your A+ and Net+ certs, so you might as well wait until they are about to expire.

I'm actually on the same path - I'm in an entry level position trying to eventually work my way into infosec. Glad to hear that your interview went well.

As far as certifications go, it seems logical to first get the CCNA and then the CISA simply because CISA requires a number of years of work experience before you can take the exam. Right now I wouldn't even be eligible to take the exam, but I could take the CCNA (and probably fail it without some more practice and studying).

If you got your CompTIA A+ and Net+ certs within that last two years (meaning that they would have to be renewed every 3 years) then I would wait on Security+ unless an employer needs you to get it right away - the reason being that passing it would renew both your A+ and Net+ certs, so you might as well wait until they are about to expire.

Wow I never realized that Security+ renewed A+ and Network+ (I got them a about a year apart so I'll probably wait until A+ expires). And that's a good point about CISA, I'm not even sure if I'd qualify for CISA - I'd have to look into that.

Edit: I'm glad we are on the same path together! What other training or work are you doing to work towards infosec - if you don't mind me asking??

So I got an offer from the IT Management company this morning. I think I'm going to accept, but it's actually a MUCH harder decision than I ever expected it to be. I currently work for an insurance company, and while I never found insurance particularly interesting, I'm finding it really hard to cut my ties there and move over into this new company - even though I believe my passion is in IT. Anyone else ever go through this? I've been struggling with it since I got the official offer this morning and really thought about leaving my current job.

You need to weight everything in this decision. Money, Benefits, your current job environemnt, your future job environment, your commute to work, what you will be doing. There is a lot in making a decision like that.

We can't tell you what to do, all i can suggest is write pros and cons on a piece of paper for each and see which you want more.

You need to weight everything in this decision. Money, Benefits, your current job environemnt, your future job environment, your commute to work, what you will be doing. There is a lot in making a decision like that.

We can't tell you what to do, all i can suggest is write pros and cons on a piece of paper for each and see which you want more.

Sorry, I don't think I was very clear in my post. I know that all of that falls to me, and I actually did write a pros/cons list last night. I was just very unprepared for how difficult it was to make the decision to switch from my current employer to this new employer. Even though I was working in an industry that didn't appeal to me at my current job, I still found it REALLY hard to give them my two week notice. I was just wondering if other people had experienced that.

I put in my two week notice this morning and it wasn't terrible, but I still feel a bit of guilt and nostalgia for what I'm giving up. But I really believe the company I'm going to is more in line with what I want to learn and do as far as a career - here's to hoping I made the right choice!!

Back
Top Bottom