Entry-level Help Desk: What to expect?

GLaDOS

In Runtime
Hello all,

I'm interviewing with an IT-management company for an entry-level help desk position. I'm still in the interview process and don't mean to get ahead of myself, but I was just curious about what to expect if I were to get a job at help-desk. What type of issues do people working at a help desk normally face? I know it can be a wide range of issues, but I was just hoping for some examples of some of the more common calls that someone could expect.

I am just nervous about getting a job at help desk and then finding out I'm in over my head at the technical level. I have my A+ and Network+ certifications and I'm the "tech guy" at my house - but I don't know how well that necessarily translates into a role like help desk. If anyone could give me some insight, I'd really appreciate it.

if you enjoy learning computer systems, you should do just fine. Learn as much as you can as soon as possible. Find people to buddy up with. Bounce ideas around. "Hey, why's XYZ system work?"

example calls.

HA! My password doesn't work. - check caps lock, is the account locked

This program won't start - what do you try to start it? maybe need to end process on all other processes with same name and then retry

my computer is slow - what are the memory levels? whats the cpu usage? Is the network congested?

you could pass the following link around for fun humor

FailDesk

Hello all,

I'm interviewing with an IT-management company for an entry-level help desk position. I'm still in the interview process and don't mean to get ahead of myself, but I was just curious about what to expect if I were to get a job at help-desk. What type of issues do people working at a help desk normally face? I know it can be a wide range of issues, but I was just hoping for some examples of some of the more common calls that someone could expect.

I am just nervous about getting a job at help desk and then finding out I'm in over my head at the technical level. I have my A+ and Network+ certifications and I'm the "tech guy" at my house - but I don't know how well that necessarily translates into a role like help desk. If anyone could give me some insight, I'd really appreciate it.

Hi,

Firstly, congrats on the interview and all the best! :smile:

Well the technical level and responsibilities of any Help Desk / Service Desk can vary from company to company, often dependant on factors such as:

- Size of the company
- Company structure
- Number of offices and their location
- Size of the IT department and number of IT staff
- Skills and expertise of the IT workforce
- Type of Help Desk / Service Desk and its location (i.e. Localised or Centralised)
- IT infrastructure, number of IT services, and their complexity and support agreements (i.e. supported internally or by an external third party)

To illustrate, my first job in industry was working in 1st line support on the Service Desk at a mid-large sized University in the UK called The University of Northampton (circa 15,000 staff and students).

The Service Desk was comprised of 4 analysts and a Service Desk Manager, and analysts primarily only logged, escalated / assigned, chased and provided updates for support requests.

Analysts resolved some support requests however, but they were mainly password resets, account unlocks, request for information (e.g. Wi-Fi passwords, network names, location and names of printers, procuring or borrowing IT equipment etc) and some basic application support. Therefore, it was what you could consider to be more 'call / contact centre orientated'.

Dependant on knowledge and skill-set, a couple of us on the Service Desk (myself included) also provided further support for applications, operating systems, hardware (desktops, laptops, mobile phones) before escalating / assigning to 2nd line support.

We did not however provide any desk-side or hands on support such as replacing hardware, moving and setting up IT equipment, rebuilding / re-imaging computers, dealing with physical printer issues (paper jams, toner replenishment, waste toner disposal), creating or disabling user accounts, managing email mailboxes, IT infrastructure or server support etc.

We had 7 or so other support teams who we escalated support requests to, which included Desktop, Business Systems, Data Centre, Network, Telephony to name a few.

--
In contrast to my role at the University, my second job was also working on a Service Desk as an IT Service Desk Support Analyst, but as the sole 1st line support guy in a smaller company. This was at a motorsport race track circuit here in the UK called Silverstone (circa 150-200 staff).

I worked in a small IT team of 5 which encompassed an IT & Business Systems Manager, Windows Server Support Analyst (2nd/3rd line), Network Analyst (2nd/3rd line), myself as the IT Service Desk Support Analyst (1st line) and a Sales System Administrator.

This role was far more hands-on, with greater responsibilities and technical skill required compared to my first role, as I was also responsible for creating and managing user accounts, creating and managing mailboxes on the Exchange email server, physical support for MFDs, enterprise malware monitoring and removal, LAN, WLAN and VLAN support, maintaining the IT infrastructure and server / comms rooms, network patching for data and voice, installing network switches, telephony system support, setting up and moving IT equipment, troubleshooting and replacing hardware components, supporting race control systems etc.

--
To conclude, it very much depends on the position and its technical requirements and responsibilities at the particular company, and the level of candidate (in terms of years experience gained, knowledge and skills) they are looking for.

Of course, there are non-technical skills which are also just as important as technical skills. These are the so called soft skills which include communication and interpersonal skills, time keeping, customer service skills, organisational skills, ability to work under pressure and to prioritise, analytical and problem solving abilities and so on. These skills are increasingly sought after, especially within customer facing roles such as Service Desks / Help Desks, which is why many individuals with customer service and or contact / call centre experience are more readily able to move into a Help Desk role.

Last edited:
This is an example of an email I JUST RECEIVED as I read your post.

"I have been having issues with Word locking up my computer and “not responding”. Any ideas on why? "

This is what I deal with on a day to day basis. Mostly vague, tough sounding questions but 98% of the time, it has a simple solution.

Edit: Just remember, don't over-complicate things. Start troubleshooting with the most basic solutions first.
I can't tell you how many times I've solved a problem by telling the user to reboot.

Last edited:
It really depends on the company and the level of service you provide. Some company's have a very narrow - tiered system where they have level 1 through 3. Level 1's literally just take phone calls and do very little troubleshooting, they more or less filter requests to the right people / groups.

Other company's have a more flat system where you only have level 1 or level 2 and those people can do just about anything under the sun to fix an issue.

So depending on how their IT work flow looks would depend on how difficult of questions / troubleshooting you will have to do.

If you have your A+ and Net+ i wouldn't sweet it, aside from proprietary software that you wouldn't know about anyways those certs give you plenty of foundation to succeed at an entry level IT position.

Lexluethar said:
Other company's have a more flat system where you only have level 1 or level 2 and those people can do just about anything under the sun to fix an issue.
That would be almost exactly the company that I work for, except even flatter. The only thing I don't (can't) do is mess with server stuff, but everything else is fair game.

Hey everyone, thanks for all of the great feedback, I really appreciate it!! From the discussions I've had so far during my first interview, I'm getting the sense that this company is more of a "flat system" with 2 tiers of help desk. It's an IT-management company that services 50 different clients across multiple markets (i.e. finance, advertising firms, medical, etc.)

I'm going in for my second interview tomorrow morning. This interview is a test/barometer of my technical abilities. It sounds like they are going to ask me some questions (i.e. how do you tell a user to do "x") which I'm a bit nervous about - I generally know how to do those things in front of a computer, but trying to write it all down may prove to be more difficult. I'm actually googling how to do some basic troubleshooting stuff (i.e. adding a network printer, mapping a network drive, etc.) just to refresh my memory and make sure I'm actually able to write something down!!

This company provides services in Network Security and gives you 4 hours each week to work on your own projects (w/e you want as long as it relates to the company somehow) so I'm hoping that *IF* I get the job I can use that time to really develop my Network security skills and develop a "niche" for myself in the company. Here's to hoping!!

One last question: could anyone give me an idea of some of the common issues a person at help desk faces? I kind of figure it's along the lines of password resets, setting default printers, and slow machines. But I'm sure that there's more than that and I'm just not thinking of it. Could anyone throw anything else out there that might be common?

You could get some of the following

Microsoft Office Issues
such as how to add tables in word, help with excel formulas, creating a second slide in powerpoint
usually they just don't bother using google, as 9 out of 10 time the answer is the first link lol

Email Issues
How to setup emails, this could be on mobile devices, from home via IMAP, POP, Exchange ActiveSync etc.
Setting delegates
Emailing or setting up personal distribution lists

Telecoms issues
This could be company blackberry's with the RIM push server
Staff who have gone overseas and haven't setup international roaming
On site Dect or IP Phone issues

Network Issues
LAN computers that have no network access
Wifi connection problems

Active Directory Issues
Password resets
Name changes
Adding permissions to allow them to access certain systems
Mailbox forwarding or access
Creating security groups and distribution lists, or adding/removing people from these groups

Folder Access
Shared folder access
Creating folders
Checking permissions

Most issues can also be resolved a lot quicker if you have the ability to remotely access the users computer

and most other questions will depend on the setup of the IT department, as this depends on how far 1st line will troubleshoot, and if they use any other software like Agresso, SAP, Sage etc. etc.

But to be honest if it is for 1st line, most of the time you can get away with little in the way of IT training, as most of the stuff you need and learn is picked up on the job.
This is due to every company being setup in a different way, so they have to train all new staff on how things have been setup.
Don't expect helpdesk work to be like technician work, as you will only troubleshoot the issue to a certain point, then pass on the issue to 2nd line.

A lot of PC system issues have to be prioritised, and if it can't be fixed after a short call, then a technician will usually attend and in most cases just re-image the machine, or replace it with one from stock, as it is quicker than getting to the bottom of the issue.
Don't expect to be able to resolve every problem, and don't waste time spending hours trying to fix a system issue that could be fixed in 20 minutes with a re-image.

All helpdesks should be paying attention to the ITIL standards and will have SLA'a for each call, so the time it takes to resolve the issue is critical.
And the management do not care if you spent 2 hours manually removing a virus, as they would say it could have been fixed in 20 minutes via a re-image.
Do not treat issues in the same way you would treat the same issue at home, as time is of the essence, as companies need their staff and systems working for as long as possible, and systems need to be back up and running asap.

Similarly staff who keep calling with standard office issue sometimes need to be told to go and do a course on how to use office, as they waste the helpdesks time, because they lack the skills and qualifications to do their job, highlight these people quickly or they will just keep calling back every two minutes lol

Back
Top Bottom