Double major/degree

Status
Not open for further replies.
i guess that's a good point....might as well get use to doing presentations..i'm sure the job will involve them too. Plus i already have to take a "senior project" class for my 4 year degree..i'm sure it'll be just as bad as a master thesis

pulling a sort of necro/double post combo here but :

After looking through some course catalogs, degree descriptions, and stuff like that I found another thing I'm more interested in and will help more with my future. Instead of business why not pair my computer science degree with "Computer Information and Technology - Computer Application Development as area of Emphasis". After looking it seems that about 30-40(maybe a little more) hours of credit will overlap. If I went with business only about 10-15 would overlap so this seems more plausible to finish in the time i want (no more than 6 years). Basically it's like taking computer science but more classes dealing with C++ development :\

So what about this? Aiming to go into the software enginnering field this seems like it'd be pretty good. I know it won't be as good as a Master's..but a degree that emphasizes on application development seems useful.

Well for starters you are not necroposting as it has not been 3 months and it has been over 24 hours so you cannot edit your original post so no double post.

Too bad I was looking for some way to infract you.[/joke]

You will be way more versatile with a business degree and a computer masters.

It is what companies are looking for. You could either be a manager with great computer skills or a manager of the it department. Even though it means a few more classes you will appear as a more well rounded student versus a computer only guy.

So what about this? Aiming to go into the software enginnering field this seems like it'd be pretty good. I know it won't be as good as a Master's..but a degree that emphasizes on application development seems useful.
Technically, a master's degree is really only useful if you want to work for a large corporation and jump into management at some point. Typically, smaller companies don't put as much emphasis on advanced degrees for management because they tend to be less bureaucratic. Even then, your on-the-job performance and experience will trump any degree you have.

The bottom line is this: do what interests you. Your field of study does not dictate your career path. It will help, but it doesn't lock you into any specific area or field. This is a common misconception that high school/college students have.

^not true, expirience is very important, but if you have no degree's and just have expirience, and some guy comes in and has a degree or two and expirience also, then he will get the job. Remember that degree's are important also, but without expirience you may have a hard time at first.

^not true, .
Of course it's not. I have no idea what I'm talking about. :rolleyes:

expirience is very important, but if you have no degree's and just have expirience, and some guy comes in and has a degree or two and expirience also, then he will get the job. Remember that degree's are important also, but without expirience you may have a hard time at first.
Who said anything about having no degrees? The discussion was based on the merits of an advanced degree.

All other things being equal an advanced degree will give you an edge over another applicant without an advanced degree.

An advanced degree will give you a better shot at a better paying job when you are straight out of college with no experience. But, if someone else is applying for the same position without an advanced degree but has the experience they will get the position.

I know masters is important. But to me having a wider playing field is good too (having more degrees/certs/etc).

So here is the plan:

Go through with the double major, get as many certifications as I can during college, do as much internship as my free electives allow(from my research this does count somewhat as job experience..is this correct), and then get my master's as some point later after i start working and get settled.

Luke does have a point about how experience is important. But without a proper education it's hard to get that experience.

oh man the beautiful catch 22 of the real world.........can't get a job without experience..but how do you get experience if all the jobs require it? lol :p

Even then, your on-the-job performance and experience will trump any degree you have.

you said that experience trumps any degree mate, meaning that expirience is better. But it is not, they are about the same.
oh man the beautiful catch 22 of the real world.........can't get a job without experience..but how do you get experience if all the jobs require it? lol
that the problem. Ironic isn't it?

The only way i see it, is work at small business's and lower positions or run your own business the build up expirience for that high paying job at the company you want to work for.

As a fellow BS in Computer Science, I am currently entering my 3rd year (about a semester behind what I "should" be because I also work so I can't do 16 credit hours per semester). I am almost to my AS degree in one more semester. Basically the plan for me is to get my AS, start browsing job availabilities and keep chugging away at the BS. If I find a better job than what I have that is more career related I will switch to that and work while completing my BS. Otherwise I will graduate with a BS and THEN get a career related job while also going to a few classes to eventually get my MS. There is no point in blowing the time in college and building up more debt while you can't pay for it. Get your BS, then work on your MS after you get a good job. Sometimes the businesses will even pay for tuition if the degree is related to your work performance.

Also, I don't know about your school, but Computer Science majors at my school automatically get a minor in Mathematics, so if yours is the same way, you could take about 1 more class to get an AS in Math, or just finish up the BS in Math as a good supporting degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom