Double major/degree

Status
Not open for further replies.

wafflehammer

Fully Optimized
Okay. Summer has started (just graduated..yay for class of '09 :p) and college is just around the corner. My orientation date is set for June 25th. It'll be the day I set up my college career for the most part. I'm stuck though.

As of right now my current plan is a BS in Computer Science. I want this badly. Dad wants me to get a MS degree in Computer science. There are a few issues with this. 1-I don't want to get burned out in the subject. 2-The school I'm going to doesn't do it so I'd have to go to a new one. 3- Doing a master thesis scares me n makes me want to wet myself.

An alternative I've come up with is, is a double major. Instead of spending the extra 2 years getting a MS, why not put it towards getting 2 degrees?

I don't know exactly how this stuff works. And I'm not to sure which would be the best combo with it or if it's even possible. Business seems like a likely option as it seems like it would needed for higher end promotions. But people have told me that a business degree is only good for low level desk jobs.

Any advice in this area? Good combo? Should I just stick to MS? I'm confooseded :|

A masters degree is going to make you alot more interesting than a double major I think in most job fields.

A master's degree is better than a bachelor's degree even if it's multiple BS degrees. Secondly, you don't need to worry about grad school at this point. When you reach your junior or senior year in college, then start considering grad school. You'll be quite a bit more knowledgeable at that point anyway. Also, it's quite common to pursue graduate degrees at a different university.

Maters is the way to go.
Way more money and job opportunities.

The Thesis is not as hard as you would think.
You have plenty of time and at that point in your college career you have so much info in your head it is pretty easy to crank out 40+ pages on a subject.

Maters is the way to go.
Way more money and job opportunities.

The Thesis is not as hard as you would think.
You have plenty of time and at that point in your college career you have so much info in your head it is pretty easy to crank out 40+ pages on a subject.

40+pages doesn't scare me.

having to do like a 30 minute presentation does lol

i dunno. I'll keep on going with the 4 year as of right now..probably minor in business so i have a bit of experience in it. Then rethink the masters when the time comes. For all I know 4 years from now a masters might be required just to be looked at...most jobs are slowly getting this way :\

Another question of the sort: When it comes to certifications when is the best time to get them? During college or after? I would think during as the information would be in head already. I'm doing self study right now for A+ so I'll probably get that before, or during my first semester. I really want to do MCSE certification too. When would be a good time to start working on the exams for that(what the questions aims at really..during or after?)?

Presentation is easy.
What is hard is having 5 days to prepare your opposition to another classmates Thesis.

By the time you get to the end you have done so many presentations and the like that it becomes second nature.

Better?

It is totally worth it.
Mine is in Informatics and Business Analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom