Devry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a guy who recently graduated from ITT tech. I asked him what type of work he expects to do with his bachelor's degree and he couldn't give me a straight answer. If you don't know what kind of work you will be doing after you graduate, then what the heck are they teaching in these schools?

I attended Devry and got my 2 year Network Systems Administration Degree, 2 years ago now. I am still not working as a System or Network Administrator. At first, I was like well maybe because of the economy at the moment. But I am still not working in that type of career, and to tell you the truth after two years of not working in the Networking field, I think I forgot everything I learned now. The position I got now which is a technical account manager, Devry definitely didn't help me get, only Jesus, prayer, work experience, and self teaching. Matter of fact, as soon as, I finished my degree from Devry I got layed off at my job then, and Devry's job folks didn't help me get anywhere. Even while attending school I was hoping they could help me find something related the the Networking field. Nope!!

Matter of fact, me and my wife attended Devry, and they screwed her by not letting her know she was about out of "financial aid". So she finished school all the way, and couldn't get the paper part. And I ran out also, but my wife helped me to make sure that what I had left in financial aid, was covered for me to get my paper. So would I say attend Devry yes, if you can at least get a Bachelor's or Masters. I figured out a 2 year degree is worthless like a high school diploma in this generation. Once upon a time a 2 year degree probably would get you in the door. :crazy:

I attended Devry and got my 2 year Network Systems Administration Degree, 2 years ago now. I am still not working as a System or Network Administrator. At first, I was like well maybe because of the economy at the moment. But I am still not working in that type of career, and to tell you the truth after two years of not working in the Networking field, I think I forgot everything I learned now. The position I got now which is a technical account manager, Devry definitely didn't help me get, only Jesus, prayer, work experience, and self teaching. Matter of fact, as soon as, I finished my degree from Devry I got layed off at my job then, and Devry's job folks didn't help me get anywhere. Even while attending school I was hoping they could help me find something related the the Networking field. Nope!!

Matter of fact, me and my wife attended Devry, and they screwed her by not letting her know she was about out of "financial aid". So she finished school all the way, and couldn't get the paper part. And I ran out also, but my wife helped me to make sure that what I had left in financial aid, was covered for me to get my paper. So would I say attend Devry yes, if you can at least get a Bachelor's or Masters. I figured out a 2 year degree is worthless like a high school diploma in this generation. Once upon a time a 2 year degree probably would get you in the door. :crazy:

After reading about your horrible experience with Devry, why on earth would you recommend anybody go there? Any legitimate school, especially a tech school, should be able to at least get you into an internship program so you can gain experience in your field of study. That's exactly what I'm doing through my local community college. I'm enrolled in a Cisco CCNA academy and I also was able to get into an internship program with network administration through the same regular old community college. The whole deal cost me less than $100 including books. Now, I live in California so I have a bog waiver of tuition, but even if you add tuition costs it's still nothing near what these tech schools charge.

The guys I work with at my internship think those tech schools are a joke, I'd avoid them completely. Most aren't even accredited schools so their bachelors or masters degrees are worthless to employers or other schools. You'd be better off going to a traditional college, it'll be much more affordable and a bachelors degree from an accredited school will be far more respectable on your resume.

Exactly, New2IT
Trust I would have went a cheaper route. But now it's done and we can't travel back. But, if I ever get a chance again, I will never go that route. I just spoke to the career services after probably a year this morning. And the only reason I did that is because I am planning to get the heck out the Midwest(Olathe,KS), because we have never been able to get a foot in the door(or after living in MO all our life, KS for just the past 5 years). So me and my wife decided a month ago to try heading to the East Coast to possibly get a fresh start in our work/career life. At the moment we are thinking possibly Philly or Raleigh, NC at the moment. Because no one can tell me that there is not an opportunity for me and my wife, that will give us a chance, it's just not here. I have done tech stuff since around '94 and my wife has work versatility, so she should be able to find position customer service or whatever. Since I'm all tech history I'm kind of stuck in that area at the moment. If we don't try to get to the goals for our family now, then when we're older it will seem like we never took a chance. We are planning to just sell and pack up and take what's left and roll out. Hopefully before the school year starts back up again. I am almost 40 and it feels like me and my wife are still stuck in our nowhere jobs, like our early 20's. In our early 20's is when we should have, fought to finish college, left the Midwest and ventured out. But I believe it is never to late in life, if your not a afraid of change.:big_smile:

Don't feel bad, I almost went to ITT tech years ago. I too bought into the cleaver advertising, but the only reason I didn't sign up was because my credit wasn't good enough for their enormous loan. (One of the few times my crappy credit has helped me, lol)

Good luck finding a tech friendly place to move, or any place with good opportunities for that matter. Finding any job in this economy isn't easy, but it seems to be getting better so I'm hopeful things work out in the end. There's always the lottery too :thumbsup:

I just signed up for Devry dont get me scared lol. Expensive huh yea its 500 per credit hour which seems very **** high lol But it seems to be a good school, employers look upon Devry very highly, and it is a technical school that will get you in and out.

I just signed up for Devry dont get me scared lol. Expensive huh yea its 500 per credit hour which seems very **** high lol But it seems to be a good school, employers look upon Devry very highly, and it is a technical school that will get you in and out.

lol yeah i agree too i just signed up to ... :) but online one and well idk i THINK Its a good school i mean y would they be accredited like that if they werent a good one... this is what i think ..... SOME PEOPLE ARE LAZY AND well when that happends they tend to not make it and ... so on and then blog about how ... BAD the school is when ... its REALLY THEM..... u get me.....

Oh, come on guys.

I personally attend DeVry, so I can actually speak from experience.

[PatrickNYM : "I'm hearing they are quite expensive though. At a normal university I am going to have to take alot of other courses that are not exactly relevant and just going to add onto my work load. "]

Yes, they are relatively expensive. That's the price you pay for the convenience of more relaxed admission requirements and massive online flexibility.

As for the "irrelevant courses", you must mean the humanities and general ed courses. You have to take those at DeVry as well. It isn't strictly an IT or trade school where they forgo all humanities and general ed courses. Most branches, including the online branch, are regionally accredited by the same accreditation organizations that accredit your state universities. For example, here in Missouri, DeVry is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission (A Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools), the same accreditation held by the University of Missouri. DeVry is also ABET accredited. These accreditations aren't just thrown out to whoever wants them. There is a reason for them - so you know that the school you are going to is legitimate, and that you will meet the requirements as set forth by the Higher Learning Commission for a well-rounded education, and more specifically for the engineering technology fields, by the IEEE.

[Lexluethar: "They are relevant, which is why they require you to take it and why a lot of employers will value a 4 year degree from a reputable university over a devry degree. I'm not saying devry isn't worth anything, but all things equal people will choose a 4 year bachelors applicant over one that has a devry degree. Those other 'irrelevant' classes actually are important when looking at the big picture."]

I agree with your last sentence. The gen ed course are important. But your implying that DeVry doesn't offer them when you say ""They are relevant, which is why they require you to take it and why a lot of employers will value a 4 year degree from a reputable university over a devry degree" is wrong. DeVry does require these courses to be taken. They wouldn't be accredited if they didn't. Therefore, your assumption that "all things equal people will choose a 4 year bachelors applicant over one that has a devry degree" is nothing more than conjecture. How do you know this? Where are your facts? According to DeVry, "90% of those in the active job market were employed in career-related positions within 6 months of graduation." Sounds like employers are hiring DeVry graduates to me.

[DBB2010: "i used to work with a guy that said devry was the worst investment he ever made. i'd suggest the university as well."]

So what? One guy out of hundreds of thousands. Maybe he was just an idiot. We don't know, so his supposed opinion is worthless in this discussion.

[PatrickNYM: "Is Devry a good school to go become a network admin?"]

To answer your original question, yes. As good as any comparable school, all things considered. Do your research, though. Don't go to a forum and base your decision.

well spoken... i agree ...

But not all of them are accredited, that's the problem. And good luck trying to transfer any of those courses to another school. It's really not about being lazy but just being smart with money. It doesn't make sense to take out a 30k+ loan just to get an entry level IT job. I probably spent less than $100 to take the community courses that helped me land my first IT job while my friend who graduated from ITT Tech last year is still washing dishes at his old job.

These schools make big promises but I have yet to meet someone who has had an experience anything like their advertisements you see on TV. I think these schools are better for somebody who already has some management experience but wants to manage in the IT industry. For those people or people who already have some experience but want to brush up their resume I think these schools make more sense. But if you have no experience in IT or management it's a bit risky considering how expensive it is and even if you do get a job you're not going to be making anywhere near what they tell you to get you to sign up.

Wait, I've been researching into universities (pretty sure I've decided where to apply), but if Devry is as expensive as a normal university why go? I thought the whole point of them was to be a cheaper and more focused education compared to what you take at your average university.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom