Devry

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a technical school. Personally if you can afford the time i'd go to a 4 year university known for computers. If not Devry is an alternative.

true...they do offer a computer information program and a few others with assoc/bachelor programs. I'm hearing they are quite expensive though.

At a normal university I am going to have to take alot of other courses that are not exactly relevant and just going to add onto my work load.

They are relevant, which is why they require you to take it and why a lot of employers will value a 4 year degree from a reputable university over a devry degree. I'm not saying devry isn't worth anything, but all things equal people will choose a 4 year bachelors applicant over one that has a devry degree.

Those other 'irrelevant' classes actually are important when looking at the big picture.

i used to work with a guy that said devry was the worst investment he ever made. i'd suggest the university as well.

Oh, come on guys.

I personally attend DeVry, so I can actually speak from experience.

[PatrickNYM : "I'm hearing they are quite expensive though. At a normal university I am going to have to take alot of other courses that are not exactly relevant and just going to add onto my work load. "]

Yes, they are relatively expensive. That's the price you pay for the convenience of more relaxed admission requirements and massive online flexibility.

As for the "irrelevant courses", you must mean the humanities and general ed courses. You have to take those at DeVry as well. It isn't strictly an IT or trade school where they forgo all humanities and general ed courses. Most branches, including the online branch, are regionally accredited by the same accreditation organizations that accredit your state universities. For example, here in Missouri, DeVry is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission (A Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools), the same accreditation held by the University of Missouri. DeVry is also ABET accredited. These accreditations aren't just thrown out to whoever wants them. There is a reason for them - so you know that the school you are going to is legitimate, and that you will meet the requirements as set forth by the Higher Learning Commission for a well-rounded education, and more specifically for the engineering technology fields, by the IEEE.

[Lexluethar: "They are relevant, which is why they require you to take it and why a lot of employers will value a 4 year degree from a reputable university over a devry degree. I'm not saying devry isn't worth anything, but all things equal people will choose a 4 year bachelors applicant over one that has a devry degree. Those other 'irrelevant' classes actually are important when looking at the big picture."]

I agree with your last sentence. The gen ed course are important. But your implying that DeVry doesn't offer them when you say ""They are relevant, which is why they require you to take it and why a lot of employers will value a 4 year degree from a reputable university over a devry degree" is wrong. DeVry does require these courses to be taken. They wouldn't be accredited if they didn't. Therefore, your assumption that "all things equal people will choose a 4 year bachelors applicant over one that has a devry degree" is nothing more than conjecture. How do you know this? Where are your facts? According to DeVry, "90% of those in the active job market were employed in career-related positions within 6 months of graduation." Sounds like employers are hiring DeVry graduates to me.

[DBB2010: "i used to work with a guy that said devry was the worst investment he ever made. i'd suggest the university as well."]

So what? One guy out of hundreds of thousands. Maybe he was just an idiot. We don't know, so his supposed opinion is worthless in this discussion.

[PatrickNYM: "Is Devry a good school to go become a network admin?"]

To answer your original question, yes. As good as any comparable school, all things considered. Do your research, though. Don't go to a forum and base your decision.

Well-worded post.

You are right - i don't have any first hand experience with Devry so i can't say for 100% sure about specific details regarding what courses they do require. I do know that most technical schools do not require as many (some require none) general education courses. You make it sound as if other posters said that Devry doesn't require general education courses - when in fact the original poster put this. So there is an applied assumption that he's done the research and noticed this for himself.

In regards to saying Devry requires general education and is accredited, you stated that the missouri campus requires this. Is that something that every campus requires? Is every campus accredited? The original poster lives in NYC, so if this is not something that is required at every campus, and if every campus is not accredited then the poster definately needs to do research to ensure that his campus is accredited and require these courses. Again i don't know any of this information and i did not do the research, but your post makes it seem as if these accolades are on a campus to campus basis.

Also i would not put a lot of weight into Devry saying 90% of those in the active job market were employed in career-related positions within 6 months of graduation, because they benefit from an acclaime like this. Just as i wouldn't put a ton of weight into Mizzou saying something similar. Of course they are going to bend the statistics to make themselves look great - most companies do (yes this is a statement coming from experience, i worked as a Research Analyst for 5 years).

Great post though - honestly. Well thought out and worded. I agree with most of what you've posted. Most importantly I agree you should NOT be basing your decision off of a forum that any person could be a member of. You need to weigh your options and choose what is best for your life and your career goals. This goes for any post on this site and any other - never use one source of information when making a life-altering decision.

I can't remember if it was devry or ITT tech..but one (or maybe both) of them is a HUGE no no in the tech world. From what I've read most companies won't even consider looking at your resume if it's from the school. I mean even look at the commercials, they plainly say the credits won't transfer for any 4 year college....That can't be a good thing.

Not insulting anyone...just stating what a lot of people say about these places...

I would say both would be a no-no.

I know someone who graduated ITT tech in computers and he knows nothing about computers. There is a guy up here who owns a computer shop, used to be a pawn shop. Putting it this way, that guy has never seen a windows activation screen. Buddy that graduated ITT knows as much as he does.

I applied at Devry in Calgary, AB when I was there. I passed all the trial tests 100%. They said they had never seen that before. Not a good start if a student going to University has never passed 100% on the skill tests.

I ended up not going as I got beter work opportunities. Personally, I would find a private college that will transfer credits onto a university course and begin from there. Alot of my Basic Introductions to Servers was by Oulton's College. They are a private college in New-Brunswick, Canada.

They offer a 10 month IT course that counts as 2 years university credit. It is IT for 8 hours a day. Mind you most people got annoyed but I say that would be your best options.

If you want to get a Bachelor or Master then I would contact IT companies and ask the recruiters what they look for in IT people and what universities they find has the best knowledge when the students come out. They will be straight up honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom