CPU much hotter after Win 10

He wasn't parroting. He was telling you that the PSU shouldn't be sucking air into the case.

I was gonna be polite and helpful but then I saw the post above, bit harsh. So I'll give a bit of advice.

Hot air rises, so common f***ing sense dictates that the hot air is removed from the top of the case. Seeing as the PSU is meant to be an exhaust (as there's no point sucking air into the PC and heating it up first through the PSU), and it's at the top back in your case, then it stands to f***ing reason that the cold air should be sucked in at the lower front of the case to optimise the airflow through the system.

Also, in most cases, graphics cards blow the air out the back of the case so I don't know whats going on there and why it's sucking air back in...

To balance it off, your side fan should intake and your central top fan should be exhaust.

Again, these things have been mentioned. Hot air rises and the PSU fan should exhaust, I would think, are 'no ****' things to say. Obviously I know that or I wouldn't have mentioned it as a problem. I appreciate yours and his efforts though. This GPU does not blow out the back of the case.

Actually 02-05 were the years people went to insane lengths to get cooling because we didn't have the type of air and water setups that are available now. At one point I had 11 fans in my case just to keep everything cool and it did sound like a jet. Back then 92mm fans were the largest you could get for consumer computing and 90% of the time they wouldn't fit in a case anyways. We had to combat that using high RPM 80mm fans.

Anyways, if your case is setup like my Raidmax Scorpio in the front you can fit a 140mm fan in the place of the 80s if you get creative and that should help airflow depending on the fan you get.

Right, but a loud case was still undesirable and for super overclockers. Most of the gaming population did not want a loud PC is what I'm saying.
I think I would have to get very creative to fit a 140mm up front, so I don't think I'll go as far as that route, but thanks for the advice.

I think I figured out the PSU problem to be the top fan is too close to the intake of the PSU. So I'll move that Vantec down to the front, put the 22cfm back on the top. Should take care of the issue.

My case isn't loud by the way. The Vantecs turned down aren't loud at all.

It was pretty much needed, as back then heatsinks were still incredibly small and parts overheated with long gaming sessions whether you overclocked or not. My TI4400 stock started to melt the plastic shroud around the heatsink because my case wasn't pushing nearly enough air. My AXP 2600+ with a brand new TT Volcano 11 still ran in the 80s until I stuffed my case full of decent fans that could push air.

Dude if you want good cooling with a crap case you gotta get creative. IMO, take a Dremel out and hack away the air limiting metal grills and for the front I'd definitely cram a good 120 or 140 in there. It took me the better part of 20 minutes to put a 120 in the front of my Raidmax Scorpio which I still use today.

This is one area I have no clue about really, I understand the basics but would not be able to optimize a case for cooling or advise someone on it.

Good job you guys on the input and advice you provide :cool:

Ill come asking when I upgrade my case next.

You can get fan templates here:
http://likestuff.globat.com/Gateway...agram with dimensions simple holes cutout.pdf
fancy templates:
http://likestuff.globat.com/Gateway...iagram with dimensions fancy holes cutout.pdf

Just print the template and you'll have the proper dimensions for a 120mm fan in the front and top. You have an aluminum case so cutting it should be easier, cutting a 120mm fan mount on the plexiglas side might be a bit more trickier for you.

Users guide of your case? (Just a FYI for others reading your thread)
http://apevia.com/umanual/um-atxb8klw.pdf

Last edited:
You will end up with positive pressure if your not careful... In all honesty, that case was never designed for the 400w+ TDP worth of heatdump.

BTW, yes, a lot of gamers with custom machines didn't mind the noise during gaming, most would crank the fans up as it was NEEDED back in the day... Waas never a major overclocker, but, even at stock speeds, my machine would over-heat easily because 80mm just isn't enough to keep low noise and high CFM.

Turning your Vantec or w/e it is down, means you have severely decreased the CFM of it... I am willing to bet the case fans overall are just slower and not moving as much air as they once did.

If you drop the $350+ on a GPU, then at least drop the $40 or so for good fans and mod the case to accept the fans... Being honest, cutting a hole for a 120mm fan isn't too hard, just have to take your time with it and make sure you remove all your parts before hand...

From the reviews I've read about that case, the front grill is not open, so even with a 120mm fan in the front, he still might not get the air required unless that gets modified too

It was pretty much needed, as back then heatsinks wereMy temps still incredibly small and parts overheated with long gaming sessions whether you overclocked or not. My TI4400 stock started to melt the plastic shroud around the heatsink because my case wasn't pushing nearly enough air. My AXP 2600+ with a brand new TT Volcano 11 still ran in the 80s until I stuffed my case full of decent fans that could push air.

Dude if you want good cooling with a crap case you gotta get creative. IMO, take a Dremel out and hack away the air limiting metal grills and for the front I'd definitely cram a good 120 or 140 in there. It took me the better part of 20 minutes to put a 120 in the front of my Raidmax Scorpio which I still use today.

I considered that, but honestly if that's necessary I'll just get a new case. But considering I'm able to keep my temps exactly what they are with the side off, how much more air cooling can I hope for?

A lot of good advice here, thanks everyone.

Here's what I did: I figured before I go nuts with this thing, let me start from scratch. I blocked off the open PCI ports at the back, took out the Vantecs and replaced them with basic 25cfm Apevia blue LED fan. Three 80mm intakes, 2 front, and 1 side. One 120mm exhaust on back, and one 80mm exhaust on top. Fired up BF4 and low and behold, temps 55C on the CPU steady, and 77C on the GPU steady. Same as with the case side off. Plus the PSU exhaust is now exhausting. Looks like the CFM's weren't needed from the Vantecs, just needed the right configuration.

Now here's the million dollar question. Say I get more CFM flowing, will I be able to cool better than what the temperatures were with the case side off? Or is this the limit of the coolers on the GPU/CPU? Difficult to find a reliable answer on what temps should be for the CPU, but it looks like most say on air 55C is what to expect from a demanding game. And for the GPU it looks like 76-77 is a good load temp as well from searching.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom