CPU much hotter after Win 10

Lets talk aa little bit about pressure and different fan setups... You have three types of setups, Positive Pressure, Negative Pressure, and Neutral Pressure...

Right now, you are most likely experiencing Negative Pressure, which is one of the better setups to have, the draw-back is, if you have a 100CFM fan exhausting air, and all the others are 30CFM and are exhaust, they will either be forced to intake due to the pressure drop, or, will move so little air that they have no benefit and may as well become intake.

In your case, the best course of action is to have the rear 120MM fan as a high CFM fan, with the top as a medium CFM fan, side as medium, and the two fronts as high.

It's really a difficult balancing act, but you never want to be purely neutral on airflow IMO, nor do you want positive pressure at all in a case like that. Only time positive benefits is when you have a mesh style case.

So consider upgrading the rear fan to something a little beefier, keep the top fan in place, and get slightly beefier front fans. They don't have to be uber-high CFM fans, and you certainly dont want the pressure so low that your PSU can't cool it self.

Pressure and airflow balancing is too hard when you don't have matching fans. Sounds like the issue here is you got a couple tornado makers and a couple **** fans not working well together causing airflow issues.

Seriously.... it's a 10yr old case.
Consider upgrading to a new case, it'll look much nicer and your parts will be happier too. They make nice cases in the $50 - $100. dollar range

Thanks for the tips and information. My temps are perfectly fine as it is, I just wonder if there's a better way. No reason for a new case.

Currently the setup is 2 25cfm 80mm case fans on front for intake. 84cfm 80mm Vantec Tornado on top exhaust, at 1/4 to 1/2 power. 25cfm 80mm case fan on side exhaust. And 145cfm 120mm Scythe super kaze exhaust on back.

Last edited:
The side fan should honestly be an intake fan, top and back should be exhaust.

I'll try switching that around.

Here's basically how it is now. Judging by my PSU being an intake, I need more intake, correct? Or should I block off the open PCI slots at the bottom back?

Attachments

• Case Airflow.jpg
    Case Airflow.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 5
Your PSU is supposed to exhaust air. If it is sucking, then there's an issue.
Generally, the front and side fans should be blowing into your case.
The rear, top and psu should be exhausting from the case. 10 yrs ago, it was cool if your pc sounded like a 747 jet. not so much today

Last edited:
The side fan should honestly be an intake fan, top and back should be exhaust.

Your PSU is supposed to exhaust air. If it is sucking, then there's an issue.
Generally, the front and side fans should be blowing into your case.
The rear, top and psu should be exhausting from the case. 10 yrs ago, it was cool if your pc sounded like a 747 jet. not so much today

Thanks for parroting. No one thought a loud PC was cool 10 years ago, people bitched about loud fans then just like they do now. I already made it clear I want to try to make this case work, if it's impossible then I'll get a new one. If you have something useful to add, please do.

Thanks for parroting. No one thought a loud PC was cool 10 years ago, people bitched about loud fans then just like they do now. I already made it clear I want to try to make this case work, if it's impossible then I'll get a new one. If you have something useful to add, please do.

He wasn't parroting. He was telling you that the PSU shouldn't be sucking air into the case.

I was gonna be polite and helpful but then I saw the post above, bit harsh. So I'll give a bit of advice.

Hot air rises, so common f***ing sense dictates that the hot air is removed from the top of the case. Seeing as the PSU is meant to be an exhaust (as there's no point sucking air into the PC and heating it up first through the PSU), and it's at the top back in your case, then it stands to f***ing reason that the cold air should be sucked in at the lower front of the case to optimise the airflow through the system.

Also, in most cases, graphics cards blow the air out the back of the case so I don't know whats going on there and why it's sucking air back in...

To balance it off, your side fan should intake and your central top fan should be exhaust.

Actually 02-05 were the years people went to insane lengths to get cooling because we didn't have the type of air and water setups that are available now. At one point I had 11 fans in my case just to keep everything cool and it did sound like a jet. Back then 92mm fans were the largest you could get for consumer computing and 90% of the time they wouldn't fit in a case anyways. We had to combat that using high RPM 80mm fans.

Anyways, if your case is setup like my Raidmax Scorpio in the front you can fit a 140mm fan in the place of the 80s if you get creative and that should help airflow depending on the fan you get.

Back
Top Bottom