CPU much hotter after Win 10

well, for now, leaving the side cover off would be the route to go until you find another cure. my sons case has so many fans and so much air flow, that it would make a jet engine jealous. so of course, he notices no gain in temperatures even after hours of continuous gaming. i am not familiar with your case, but to me, it sounds like you have way more air intake, than exhaust. so without enough exhaust flow, the case is simply not flowing as well as it should. if there is a place, i would suggest a good sized fan below the graphics card, or even 2 small fans. getting rid of air that you know is heated is a good place to start.

Pretty much already answered that question. Did you upgrade your GPU and switch to 10? That's why. The 390 puts off way more heat than your fan setup can handle.

So why is this problem present now, after Windows 10 and not before?

Because Win10 decided to be a repairman and decided that you wanted more silence while wanting ultra performance, so it insulated your case. -.-

In all honesty, the problem was probably there before and you never paid enough attention to it.

I upgraded GPU, played for about a week with no issues. Then upgraded to 10 and literally felt the extra heat the first time I played BF4. Something in Win 10 is taxing the system for sure, but I also definitely have an airflow issue.

In any event, side cover off keeps the temperatures at 55C and 77C max for CPU/GPU respectively, under the same conditions as before.

I switched the top fan to exhaust and it dropped the CPU temp about 5C with the side cover on, as far as I could tell. I plan to make some fan mounts in the plexiglass of the side cover and see if a couple exhaust fans there will do the trick. If that fails, I'll see if the Vantecs make a difference.

....the only thing "taxing" would be **** drivers from AMD, as well as horrible air-flow.

Being serious, get screenshots of temps, as well as driver revision information in Win10, go back to Win7 for a day, and I bet if you have the same driver revision, you will see the same thing.

All this aside, if you dropped 5c by turning a fan around alone, and 15c by removing a side-panel, then the OS is not to blame. Hell, I upgraded to 10, GPU is at the exact same temps, exact same usage, same everything as prior to the upgrade. Only difference being that AMD drivers suck badly for such a new GPU.

So, once again, you had problems to begin with, serious ones, with a 125W TDP CPU, and a 300w TDP GPU, you are dumping about 425w worth of pure heat into your case at full load, that's literally like having a small personal space heater inside your tower... Those small personal ones, are only 600w-1000w of total heat.

Blame it all on Win10 as much as you like, but the real issue is your lack of air-flow, case choice, and component choices for that case.

Seriously, time to upgrade the case, I was looking at that thing like, 10 years ago for a build, was good for the time, but, times have changed, TDP's are higher, and components are bigger. You will either have to upgrade ALL those case fans to Deltas or similar, or upgrade the case. Your choice.

Last edited:
Yeah I bought this case about 10 years ago. It's not so much I'm blaming Win 10, as it just is what caused the difference in temperature. Could be drivers, could be that Win 7 didn't utilize my CPU/GPU to their fullest potential and Win 10 does (games run better on Win 8 than Win 7 right?). Who knows at this point. I didn't have the issue before Win 10, not sure how many different ways I can say it.

I'll report back if the more exhaust fans thing works, which it should. Should be the same as removing the side cover if the fans are placed correctly. If it comes down to it, I'll buy a full size newer tower. Not jumping to that solution yet though.

Don't exactly need a bigger case, just need a case that has plenty of 120 and 140mm fan mounting options... Lets you use larger fans with a higher CFM rating but similar noise levels as 80mm fans... 80mm fans barely move any air, manufactures have pretty much ditched them in favor of 120mm and larger.

Well good news! I decided I'd put one of my 80mm Vantecs in place of my top fan, and put the 80mm fan that was there onto the existing side mount location, over top of the CPU cooler (JUST enough clearance). Both exhaust. Played an hour of BF4 and the temps stayed right where they were when I had the side of the case off. 55C/77C! And that was at half power to keep the noise down (have the Vantec and 2 intakes wired into the case fan controller). When I turn it up to vacuum cleaner levels the temps drop a few more degrees, but that's too much noise for my liking. Just needed some CFM, no modification necessary.

I may put my other 80mm Vantec in place of one of my intakes to see if it has an effect.

So, you're not actually the only one with this complaint. There are multiple reports of Windows 10 causing computers to run hotter than before. Although the design may help make a difference, it's certainly not just in your head. There is definitely something about Windows 10 that is making the most use out of the hardware which is causing a bit of an increase in heat production. Google it and you'll see a bunch of it going on. I've seen a few come into our shop and some tech buddies of mine have reported it as well.

Back
Top Bottom