Convince me to switch from PS3 to 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronkupen

Fully Optimized
Okay so it's pretty simple, I'm currently a Playstation 3 owner who feels like it might be right to give it up and switch [back] to the xbox 360. Frankly, I think the PS3 exclusives are more my style, but lets be honest... no one has this system. If I want to play a game with my friends, it becomes impossible because none of them have this system. Also, the likelyhood of them purchasing one is low due to the substantial price difference between the two systems.

So weighing all these things, I think that it would be nice to switch, but I'm not entirely willing to sell my PS3 hardware and game collection without a firm stand on the matter. I also wouldn't plan on buying until it's certain that a 360 I would buy would be a Jasper version.

Its your guys job to convince me to switch -- please. Also, how much do you think I could get for my current PS3 collection and what would be the best way to sell it if i decide?

Thanks in advance.

Well, the Jasper has finally hit. It's out in the wild, with both CPU and GPU on a 65nm process (reduces power usage, heat output, and [most importantly] chances of RRoD). You can tell the new models because they use 12 amps rather than the 14 amps that Falcon models use.

I like the games on Xbox 360. I know many people say that Halo 3 is mediocre, generic, boring, and that Xbox Live isn't always that great, but face it, it's one of the most recognized and popular games out there. Halo 3 is great for parties, if you have friends with the game, big Halo matches are always fun.

The 360 also has the best experience for music games (Rock Band, Guitar Hero). The controllers are all designed with integrated wireless without any USB dongles or receivers. You can download new songs on Xbox Live without having to use a credit card (just pick up a Microsoft Points card in a store). Xbox Live Gold, while it does cost money, is very reasonable at $50 for 13 months (maybe a little less if you buy at the right places, I bought mine on Newegg). If you want to play your friends online, Xbox Live Gold is a must have.

Also, I really like the 360's controller. The design fits my hands well, has a good layout for a variety of games, feels solidly built and long lasting, has powerful rumble, and works with Windows PC's as well. I have the USB version of the controller so I use mine on PC a lot as well as my 360. It's the best controller I've ever used (that's not the 360-fanboy part of me speaking, I thought the controller felt good even when I was strictly PC/Wii, I did consider buying a 360 controller just to use on my computer).

Now, speaking of price, the 360 is the most affordable console out there today. The Arcade package has managed to undercut the Wii, and with Microsoft handing out cheap hard drives to Arcade buyers, you're essentially getting the old Premium package for $230. That's $20 less than even the Wii, which was long known for being the most affordable console.

The 360 does lack a few of the things your PS3 has, namely Blu-Ray, Bluetooth, and internal WiFi. However, the 360 does amazing things with DVD media. Somehow they managed to cram all of GTA IV onto a single (double layer) DVD while the PC version requires 2 DVD-DL's. Internal WiFi isn't really necessary in my opinion, I have my 360 at my desk with my Ethernet switches, so getting a wired connection is easy for me and a wired connection is better than a wireless one. If you're one of those who absolutely needs wireless, there's a wireless adapter available.

As for other games, I haven't played too many. I got my 360 for free because it was broken, and I bought Halo 3 because I played it at friends' houses and liked it. I need to get more games but never had the cash to do so (always been PC upgrades to do first).

ps3 looks cooler though, matches home components better. some great looking games comming out soon, like drakes fortune 2 and infamous!

360 is louder, plays only dvd's so some games are multi dvd vs blue ray...blue ray man!
ps3 is whisper quiet.
360's are loud cause their so darn hot. its what i use to cook my eggs in the morning for breakfast.

no stupid brick power supply laying on the floor ready to catch something on fire
no paying for live services

get rid of that just to play with with some friends? if they have pc's just download america's army or something

well i tried to convince you, but nothing good with 360 to provide a convincing arguement.

appears to be your only point you have to yourself. can you not game with them on the PC? lots of multiplay titles to choose from.

if thats the only reason you want to switch, then you might take some time to think and also consider what it is about your PS3 you do like. how much do you think you'll play it...etc.

other than that, no one can convince you to do something you apparantly already want to do. its like you know thats what you want, anything apposing will be argued yet you want any excuse from someone else to make up your mind to swap, even though its already made up.

gameing with friends is fun, but like anything else, it also eventually gets boring with the same game. i have ps3 but for online gameing i much prefer PC. most people have them, multipayer games like BF 2142 can be gotten cheaply...etc.
if your talking about offline. lan parties come to mind but are more cumbersome. thats where my old Dreamcast and 4 controllers come to play. nfl 2k may be old, but still fun to play for everyone.

if your talking soley offline play with a few friends at your house. personallly i'd almost suggest a Wii but i think your wanting online play mostly. frankly i dont see it as a reason to justify but only you know if you'll get more fun with a 360 or not. no one can really help you there, its a personal preference.

Well
a) I have a laptop, it's not really suited for PC gaming.
b) I don't like PC gaming.
c) I haven't decided yet, I've been an avid PS3 supporter throughout the forum.

that narrows out pc gaming. can you afford to keep your PS3 and get a 360? maybe a used one?
thier down to $200 brand new now, so maybe a used one might be affordable? if not then guess its a choice of what you think you'll enjoy more. i just hope you dont later regret it down the road.

so far, i dont regret keeping my older systems even though at the time i thought of selling them. if i did, then i know i'd regret it now. retro gaming is fun when your older. i'm 32yrs btw. i wish i had my atari 2600 sometimes. but i'm glad i kept my dreamcast/segacd/xbox. i play them now and then and still fun.

For the price I don't see why you'd want to trade in your PS3 for a 360. I'd just buy a 360, they're getting cheaper. If you want one for absolute dirt cheap buy a broken one on eBay and fix it or find someone who has a dead one lying around, they're pretty easy to fix.

As for Blu-Ray, PS3 owners love to brag "Oh my PS3 plays Blu Ray and your 360 only plays those lame DVD's" blah blah blah. Fact is, Blu Ray only looks good on big expensive HDTV's, is overpriced, has poor support as of now, is a proprietary Sony format, and is burdened by heavy DRM. Most of us don't care about Blu-Ray, especially with all of its DRM. Anyways, if I wanted Blu-Ray, I'd get a Blu-Ray drive for my PC, that way I could rip/decode/convert and possibly burn Blu-Ray. I have consoles for gaming. Gaming is what consoles were made for.

For the price I don't see why you'd want to trade in your PS3 for a 360. I'd just buy a 360, they're getting cheaper. If you want one for absolute dirt cheap buy a broken one on eBay and fix it or find someone who has a dead one lying around, they're pretty easy to fix.

As for Blu-Ray, PS3 owners love to brag "Oh my PS3 plays Blu Ray and your 360 only plays those lame DVD's" blah blah blah. Fact is, Blu Ray only looks good on big expensive HDTV's, is overpriced, has poor support as of now, is a proprietary Sony format, and is burdened by heavy DRM. Most of us don't care about Blu-Ray, especially with all of its DRM. Anyways, if I wanted Blu-Ray, I'd get a Blu-Ray drive for my PC, that way I could rip/decode/convert and possibly burn Blu-Ray. I have consoles for gaming. Gaming is what consoles were made for.

Well I have one of those big expensive HDTV's.... but I couldn't care less about blu-ray. I care more about the content rather than the presentation, so things like graphics and 1080p don't matter much to me. But getting both is an option, except that I'd rather concentrate on one and have x00 amount of dollars back in my pocket. I am a poor college student after all.

So, I got my fill out of the PS3 exclusives that I like and I don't see myself ever really wanting to go back and play them -- especially since no one I know has them either.
This is why I think I might go with the 360... but I'm still not sure. There are some very appealing PS3 exclusives coming out, and I'm still worried about the 360 quality issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom