controlling network traffic??

Status
Not open for further replies.

scubascott1098

Beta member
Hi all
I rent my basement out and i give my tenants free wireless internet. The problem is I am a big online gamer (mostly WoW and some CS) their internet usage is really killing my latency because they download movies and music by the metric ton. one i don't like the fact that they're downloading illegally through my internet connection, and two I hate how their activity is killing my gaming latency. I was wondering if there was any software that I could use to monitor / control the amount of bandwidth they use, or if there is some sort of network control software that will stop their ability to download. any suggestions would be extremely helpful. thanks!

I don't have a suggestion for a program or way to throttle them, but I do have some ammo you can use for it.

If they are downloading illegally, it only shows the authorities your IP address. The MPAA/RIAA will come after you, not them, if they are caught.

Hmmm... as a suggestion, turn off the wireless. Just access your router (hopefully you have changed the default password or you may find your tenants have for you) and click the appropriate radio button.

Also, kick in some encryption on your wireless connection. If you don't have any on, odds are others besides just your renters are enjoying the free internet connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom