Compaq Mini BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Napster

In Runtime
I am working on a friend's compaq mini netbook with no cd drive and running windows xp sp3. I was originally called over to remove the popular security 2010 virus from this machine. Everything went fine virus gone so i started the download for avast antivirus to give the omputer some protection and left. I got a call an hour later saying they had been using the computer and installed avast and there was a new problem. Now the machine will get to the xp login screen for about 3 seconds and then blue screen and restart into an endless loop. (i forgot the exact error i will redo the problem to get the code then edit). I put hiren's boot cd onto a usb drive and ran a lite version of xp to try and remove whatever avast did. When i reboot with the thumb drive in there is an option down in the hiren list to boot from hard drive (win xp ntldr) when i use this option it will run fine past login, but pretty darn slow. The top boot from hard drive option, however, just does the same bluescreen just as when the thumb drive is not connected. There is also two other options in the box one says Vista/7 (BOOTMGR) and Fix ntldr is missing.

*edit* the BSOD error code is "MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS" and 0x00000044

What now? what did avast do to make this happen and what can be done to reverse it?

Also windows update does NOT work when i go to open it the page says "internet explorer is unable to display the web page" and says it is not connected to the internet, but all other sites work fine.

I also ran malwayrebytes full system scan, ccleaner, and spybotsd twice all of which say system is clean on second pass.

Bug Check 0x44: MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS

Resolution

This is a tough bug to find because the simplest case -- a driver that attempted to complete its own packet twice -- is usually not the source of the problem. More likely, two separate drivers each believe that they own the packet, and each has attempted to complete it. The first request succeeds, and the second fails, resulting in this bug check.

Tracking down which drivers in the system caused the error is difficult, because the trail of the first driver has been covered by the second. However, the driver stack for the current request can be found by examining the device object fields in each of the stack locations.

If your lucky through the mini dumps. The site doesnt give information on how to find the packets or the drivers at fault. So your best bet, reinstall all drivers with the newest versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom