Colleges

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few classmates who are going to a technical college from Kansas, and it seems to be a huge trend. What i've heard is that your hands are tied once you reach a certain level in your job. But by the same token, so does having a Doctorate degree in liberal arts.

I would also agree with those of you that said attend a college that you can afford. At one time I was about to go to DeVry, but I took a second look, and found that I would be in a $50,000 debt if i followed my ambitions. So, needless to say, I'm going to a Junior College,because they dang near pay themselves off.

Another thing that i like is that there are fewer students at a Junior College than a university. For those of us that are introverts(afraid of big groups), that's something to consider.

Well, if I can I'd like to go to MIT,though I'm only 14. I've kept my GPA at a 3.5 or higher and I know the rest of high school and college isn't a cakewalk, but with some determination and studying I should be able to make it. I'm at a private school currently. They do teach some computer science related classes so I a may have a head start on college.

Ahem, now that I mentioned my school I'll quote one of its most hated policies"The Internet is a priviledge, not a right."

Northbridge... my friend's brother graduated with a cumulative GPA of about 4.7 and a 1560 SAT, and he got rejected at MIT and Princeton. :p Doesn't leave much hope for the rest of us, eh?

1996 - Baulkham Hills Collage Of TAFE - Acc. Dip. Of Business Studdies
1997 - Blacktown Collage Of TAFE - Acc. Dip. Of I.T. PC and NW Support
1998 Semester 1 - Blacktown Collage Of TAFE - Acc. Dip. Of I.T. PC and NW Support
1998 Semester 2 - Mt. Druitt Of TAFE - Acc. Dip. Of I.T. PC and NW Support

Currently, I am the black sheep in the family as I have not gone to University.

Private schools are very good for academics. I went to a Catholic high school but I'm not quite sure how it was Catholic :p . They seemed to be more interested in academics than religion. Lots of people who were not Catholic went there just becasue of academics.

The computer related classes should really help you out. If your looking for a head start for college, take some programming courses. My high school offered classes on Access, Word, Excel and easy stuff. These programs aren't that difficult to understand on your own. I thought that the programming classes were more meaningful. Especailly since you will need to take programming in college. My college assumes that you can figure out Word and Excel on your own.

Emily said:
Northbridge... my friend's brother graduated with a cumulative GPA of about 4.7 and a 1560 SAT, and he got rejected at MIT and Princeton. :p Doesn't leave much hope for the rest of us, eh?

Yeah, requirements are tough.It also shows grades aren't all that colleges look at. I got inrolled in Duke University's TIP(Talent Identification Program) and I took the ACT in the seventh grade. I made a 19 on it. Thats enough to get in a lower standard college. Thats only in seventh grade. My school's had people who made 36's on the ACT before. I only hope to continue. The place is a college prepitory school so its honors classes are a year ahead of public schools curriculims. That means I can take college courses in my Senior year. Calculus???:mad:

jonathan03 said:
Private schools are very good for academics. I went to a Catholic high school but I'm not quite sure how it was Catholic :p . They seemed to be more interested in academics than religion. Lots of people who were not Catholic went there just becasue of academics.

The computer related classes should really help you out. If your looking for a head start for college, take some programming courses. My high school offered classes on Access, Word, Excel and easy stuff. These programs aren't that difficult to understand on your own. I thought that the programming classes were more meaningful. Especailly since you will need to take programming in college. My college assumes that you can figure out Word and Excel on your own.

I've got to take a typing/computer literacy class in my sophomore year, although I don't think I'll get much from the computer literacy part.They offer computer science classes but I don't have a guess of how in depth in hardware or programming they go or if its a dang MS Office class.I want to do some actual programming where I have to learn languages.
Well I know the school's got a web site so I know they at least teach HTML. If a possible I'd like to learn C, vb, or Java language.

I'd also like to study computer hardware in depth which is also a part of computer science.:D

Is there a junior college near you, Northbridge? There's a jc near my high school where I take programming classes, and they're usually really good. I've taken two webdesign and two VB classes there, and I'm taking Java next fall, since my high school doesn't offer any computer science classes (besides computer literacy).

Emily said:
Is there a junior college near you, Northbridge? There's a jc near my high school where I take programming classes, and they're usually really good. I've taken two webdesign and two VB classes there, and I'm taking Java next fall, since my high school doesn't offer any computer science classes (besides computer literacy).

It may seem dumb of me to ask, but what exactly are junior colleges?

They're just regular colleges except they only go for two years, so you can't get a full degree from them. Usually people go to a jc for two years and then transfer to a full four-year college for another two years to get their degree. I know a ton of people who are going to do that when they graduate high school because the jc is about a millionth of the price of even a public four-year college.

But I take it there aren't any near you. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom